Belwood (Fergus) dam?

gogu392

If your bleow the dam remember its a sinlge Barbless hook/no kill zone.

If your shore fishing it'll be a bit tough right now....

The water is WAY down...the water is being let go for the season, so it'll just get lower and lower from here on in

(normal for this time of year)

I find the fish in belwood will be skittery this time of year and the most productive spots, are deeper holes, and off shore structure.

The good news is they are feeding heavily, and when they are on...its on

But its a hit an miss thing with the huge fluctuation in water levels this time of year.

They are kind of pushed off there normal structure so they are a bit scattered, and tough to find if you don't know the lake.

Good luck,

Might see you there!

the place is really heavily pressured for pike i find the pike population to be going down lower and lower every year due to lack of catch and release. The smallmouth bass is good there and i have managed a few walleyes here and there on jigs and gulp minnows plenty of bullhead. For bass and pike i use small jerk baits like the x-rap #8 in silver blue, and a #2 mepps black fury spinner with red dots (i actually hooked a carp on it lol). Good luck and post a report when ur back

There is lots of shore access to fish the lake. Being so close to urban centers it's heavily pressured, especially during the summer, and just based on my own observations catch and release is unfortunately not very common there. This time of year there will be less people and so you should have no problem finding a good stretch of shoreline to fish. However be careful about going on weekends when the weather is nice. There is still a lot of boat traffic which congregates in the area right above the dam and I've found this can really kill the fishing. Because of this I've found shore fishing there can really be hit or miss.

Of course if you fish below the dam you don't need to worry about this. But make sure you're aware that if you go too far downstream of the dam there are special regulations to protect the trout fishery. But if you stay right below the lake you're okay.

A lot of the shoreline there is private cottages so you need to stay in the area around the boat launch, and dam. Even with boat traffic you can still fish of course, but it can be a nuisance during really busy times. I generally have better luck during the week when there are fewer people on the lake, but this may not be an option for you.

Whenever you go, once you enter the conservation area you'll see a large rocky shoreline around the dam. You can fish anywhere there and catch bass and pike using most standard lures (rapallas, crankbaits, spinnerbaits).