Annual Algonquin Report PART 2

Ramble

The next morning I went on a little wander in the maples after the customary visit to the Thunder Box. I came across this guy, gleaming in morning dew.

Tattler08236.jpg

The high pressure system now in place made for a cool day and the fishing slowed down. We had a plan to paddle the islands of Booth and fish along the way. It was a slow morning, and finding fish of size was a tall order to be sure.

Tattler08226.jpg

We stopped on the island closest to McCarthy Creek and while dad made some tea for us I wandered, yet again, with the camera.

Tattler08246.jpg

Tattler08231.jpg

Tattler08227.jpg

Tattler08232.jpg

Tattler08234.jpg

Tattler08245.jpg

Did I mention the blueberries were out in fine form?

Tattler08250.jpg

Tattler08259.jpg

We drank our tea and had a snack before moving on. We fished around and caught a few smallies (which were all released) while at the same time avoiding the wind, though it was fairly light. We meandered back towards camp, and stopped at about 5pm for dinner in a little bay.

Tattler08277.jpg

The sunset was spectacular as usual, and we watched the moon rise over the lake.

Tattler08281.jpg

Tattler08282.jpg

Tattler08283.jpg

Tattler08293.jpg

The next day we set off for the Opeongo river, which is a trip that never disappoints. It’s a beautiful river, in a beautiful section of the park. The high water was even more noticeable as we entered the shallow rapid sections. Water usually ankle deep was around my knees, and the current was impressive.

Tattler08307.jpg

Our unique mode of portaging held constant even up the Opeongo.

Tattler08297.jpg

Tattler08299.jpg

We didn’t get all the way to Annie bay like usual, but we made it most of the way up, and checked a few of the portages just for the walk in the bush.

A Portage

Tattler08317.jpg

Tattler08319.jpg

Tattler08336.jpg

Tattler08337.jpg

Tattler08321.jpg

Tattler08341.jpg

Tattler08347.jpg

We turned around and headed back down the river, without grazing a rock. The high water had its benefits.

Tattler08354.jpg

Tattler08360.jpg

As always we convinced a few fish that our top water lures were worth a closer look.

Tattler08294.jpg

Tattler08295.jpg

Tattler08352.jpg

Once out of the river we headed out on the main lake for an evening fish after a bite to eat.

We found this little guy to be particularly aggressive.

Tattler08362.jpg

We also saw a few of these.

Tattler08377.jpg

The evening proved to be one of the nicest we had during the week, and did our mental state wonders…this is the real reason we travel to the park.

Tattler08381.jpg

Tattler08385.jpg

Tattler08387.jpg

Tattler08394.jpg

The next day we set out one another of my favorite trips to Rye Grass lake. A small bog lake full of unique bog plants and other wildlife. I could spend hours exploring this place.

The portage in.

Tattler08401.jpg

Hemlock stand.

Tattler08402.jpg

Jewel Weed

Tattler08403.jpg

Once up to the lake we could see the weather was brewing up something a little more serious then we had thought.

Tattler08415.jpg

So we headed back down to the main lake to wait out whatever was coming. Turns out it was one impressive thunderstorm. The rain came and so did the lightning. The 1st wave of serious weather only grazed us. The white pine we were under provided protection from the rain, and we sat on the Kevlar canoe (insulator) just be sure we didn’t experience any unwanted voltage.

Tattler08415.jpg

Tattler08416.jpg

Tattler08418.jpg

Tattler08422.jpg

The lighting was hitting the hills in front of us in a most spectacular way. The thunder was load and rumbling while the cell moved through. The clouds were full of electricity, and we were glad not to be out on the open lake.

After the storm clouds had passed the sky cleared somewhat and we decided to head up too Rye Grass before the next batch moved in.

Once up their we wandered around and I went snap happy with the camera. Pitcher plants were out in full force. They are defiantly a unique and beautiful plant…did I mention they are carnivorous? Their “pitchers” fill with a bit of water, guard hairs on the upper part of the pitcher prevent prey from escaping. Insects drawn in by a surgery secretion, fall in and drown, then the plant draws the nutrients from the water.

Tattler08434.jpg

Tattler08435.jpg

Tattler08438.jpg

Tattler08439.jpg

Tattler08444.jpg

Tattler08445.jpg

Tattler08451.jpg

Tattler08452.jpg

Tattler08455.jpg

One of the plants had a visitor which was exploiting the sugary secretions.

Tattler08430.jpg

White Water Lilies

Tattler08457.jpg

Tattler08413.jpg

After a romp around the bog the next storm was moving in so we headed back down to the lower lake. We resumed our position on the canoe under the pine and watched the light show again.

Tattler08477.jpg

Tattler08479.jpg

This storm hit us bang on. It rained so hard we couldn’t see across the lake. The tree provided little protection from the rain at this point and after a short time we were soaked through. The lightning was hitting the hills across the lake, and the hill we were on. We saw lightning and heard the thunder at the same time. We were impressed yet again, and wanted to see more…perhaps a little further away.

After this cell passed, a smaller one came through, rumbling and grumbling raining as it went. Then the sky cleared again. There was almost no wind while all this was going on. So as soon as it cleared we decided to head back towards camp to dry out and warm up.

We were wet.

Tattler08475.jpg

The trip back was uneventful and beautiful.

Tattler08482.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! Some great pictures too! Those Pitcher plants are very interesting. Interesting to study the evolution of that plant. Thanks for sharing.