my protege scores the biggest fish of the week

scuro

IMGP0509.jpg

Paul has been fishing with me for ten years since he was four. We go up to the same cottages each year and I usually see him on the dock morning and evenings. At the resort he would be about the only other fishermen as fanatical about fishing as I.

IMGP0529.jpg

This year he caught the biggest fish of the week at the resort and this was by far the biggest fish that he caught of his life. It was 9 pm and he wanted to catch a walleye. I said why not drop a worm of the side of the dock. Immediately the rod tip bends in the shape of a "J". Thats not fighting like a walleye! With a little bit of coaching he did just fine and after about 10 minutes hard and steady work he wore the fish out. No way he could muscle it in with his gear. Afterwards when he looked at his jig hook it was almost completely straightened. Any guess on the weight? I'm not that good at that, figured over 5 and under 10 pounds.

I got out twice to fish this August in Ontario near Huntsville and Mattawa. I found subsurface temps very cold and fish scattered. Patterns were all off and I had my best luck shallow. No lakers and no walleye. The few bass and pike I did catch were decent but unremarkable, sorry no pics. I did however take some pics of landscapes. I like to use them for backgrounds on my computer. Hope you enjoy some of them.

IMGP0454.jpg

Promising looking but never a fish here.

IMGP0457.jpg

On the evening troll.

IMGP0462.jpg

My mom likes to come along for the scenery and as long as I don't go too fast. She doesn't mind at all if I fish at certain spots.

IMGP0451.jpg

Like this one.

IMGP0468.jpg

Early morning troll.

Edited by scuro