My anual camping/fishing trip up North

icefisherman

You did very well! :thumbsup_anim: I'm curious, at what depth where you locating lakers...and what type of lure was working. I had no hits on the same weekend and was in the same general location.

Scuro,

every year I find lakers in Opeongo (those that are hungry) in the top 20-25 feet despite what everyone else may want you to believe.

Most people think lakers are desp right now, and they are..BUT...those that are deep are of no interest to you anyways as they are just sitting there relaxing enjoying the view on the bottom, what ever lasy fish do ;-)

The ones you should be interested in are those that go up in the water column to actively search for food.

Those I was catching day in and day out....

One other thing that I found works great for me and most locals will not believe it ;-)...all of them are using those long lines with many spoons one after another...not sure what they are called but CT sales them...I go different way...just go and buy couple meps of Vinbrax lures in chartuse #3 and #4 and you are set.....cheap...and very successful.

Always works and locals can not understand how come I get lakers next to them and they do not :Gonefishing:

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Hey Ice,

Great report I was talking to a buddy of mine who was on Opeongo the same time. He was doing OK as well and concurs that the most were being taken in the 25 foot depth range.

One question was that Bass caught off the downrigger? Beauty fish great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Nemo

Hey Ice,

Great report I was talking to a buddy of mine who was on Opeongo the same time. He was doing OK as well and concurs that the most were being taken in the 25 foot depth range.

One question was that Bass caught off the downrigger? Beauty fish great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Nemo

You've got it Nemo, the bass (and few other Bass) were caught on the riggers while trolling for lakers.

I think I may have talked to your Buddy if he has a kid or two with him in a smaller boat?

This year I got one more laker with tag by the MNR on it...the guy wasn;'t there when we were leaving on Saturday so I'll be emailing him the info.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thanks for the info. He was in a 12 foot tinny with 4 stroke Merc. Did he have a dog? Two kids eldest boy and younger girl.

You know the fish are up high when you're catching Bass and Trout on the riggers.

I caught a few tags but always released them.

Nemo

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! Looks like you have those Lakers dialed in! And that bass is a monster!! You must have known right away it wasn't a laker and it must have fought really good! We've been seeing a lot of foxes lately. Apparently the mosquitoes are so bad this year, many animals are being driven out of the woods.

Anyways, good to see the little guy enjoying his trip and glad to hear you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info. He was in a 12 foot tinny with 4 stroke Merc. Did he have a dog? Two kids eldest boy and younger girl.

You know the fish are up high when you're catching Bass and Trout on the riggers.

I caught a few tags but always released them.

Nemo

That must have been him Nemo. It was small boat and yes there was dog in it too.

We spoke briefly and he told me he has found the fish same place I was fishing them in the water column.

I released the fish but kept the tag in my wallet and will be reporting it later today.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman