Largie Report - August 18/19

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Got out on the Rideau River Monday and today. Conditions were less than favourable... :wallbash:

August 18

Woke up to pretty strong winds this morning. Weather was hot and humid, but a bad rain storm and front were forecast for late afternoon/early evening.

Launched the boat to a stiff north-west wind. Knowing how the wind swirls and hits you from every angle on this stretch, I headed to a deep bank that I knew would be fairly protected.

Started pitching jigs and Texas-rigged Paca Craws to laydowns and isolated slop. Water ranged in depth between 2 and 7 feet, over a mostly sand/rock bottom. Most fish caught were relating to the wood in some way or another..

Picked up six largies fishing this 200 yard stretch of shore, before sadly, hitting the end. Most fish were plump and well-fed, with a couple coughing up craw parts during the fight. Biggest fish went about 3.25lbs. Was fishing solo this day, so didn't bother with any self-portraits.

The winds were gusting to 42km's this day, and all of my spots (over than the one shore) were virtually unfishable. With the storm lingering in the distance, I made my retreat back to the launch.

August 19

Today was in sharp contrast from the previous. Woke to 10 degree weather on the morning, and a brisk east wind. Even though I knew the fishing would be real tough with these cold front conditions, decided to head out with Dad for a 4 or 5 hour fish.

Long pants and sweaters was the necessary attire, and I must say, the hands were getting a bit chilly while flipping and pitching!

Began working thick slop clumps with Paca Craws, working both the edges and deep inside. Fish were fairly sluggish, but would hit if tempted enough. Worked water between 1 and 4 feet deep.

Put six largies in the boat (and a bonus crappie), but we sure worked hard for them today. The front definitely affected the fish considerably.

Here is a shot of the biggest of the day...not bad for the elements we faced.

PacaCraw.jpg

Tough couple of days on the water, but it always feels good to wet a line...

Until next time.

Good Fishing,

Justin