Mountsberg/Carlisle Fishing...

addy79

hey guys,

good friend of mine bought a place out that way, were completely unfamiliar with it.

We've noticed on Google Maps that there are a lot of small rivers and lakes in the surrounding areas.

Just wondering if any of you are familiar with this region and if you'd like to enlighten me on some possible starting spots. ;)

thanks as always!

Nice Pike there Monty. I fish Montsberg and Valens in my kickboat. It can be very good there but catch and keep fishing, LOTS of poaching by "Canadians" as well as foreign types and it's hurting the fishing somewhat. Valens seems to be way off the good old days and there seems to be somthing that negatively effects the vegetation there even when we have lots of water like this year. The veg gets all brown and looks sick to me. Valens is also perhaps the worst case of mismanagement of a resource you can imagine. There are big Bass in there but the management insists not only in selling live bait but they run "tournaments" on a lake measured in acres where the boats are not permited to have motors so no livewells and so it's essentially a catch and kill "Tournament". I had a guy press me to fish with him as a partner in this tournament and I just about ripped his head off (figuatively). If I ever got hold of the management of that operation I bet the figuatively would go out the window. Over all even though it's weedy by now Montsberg is the way to go. But if you go be aware that fishing anywhere on the CP property where the train runs will get you a $525 fine for trespassing this year, plus the fine for not having a licence that would inevitably follow for that ilk of idiot. When I see guys doing it I tell them but you would not believe the justifiction I get for their poaching. Often it's family poaching, with mom, dad and little ones fishing and in the kids case, playing on very live traintracks with 15 to 20 trains going by daily. And all to fish from shore which is essentially not very productive anyway . snidley

Snidley is right about the trains at Mountsberg. It can be irritating after 4 or 5 trains. If you go to Google maps and check the satelite photo of Mountsberg, you can see a train crossing the lake at the time of the photo. At least it's quieter than fishing Kelso conservation area next to the 401. That is an i-pod fishing lake for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I heard someone saying fishing there without paying is a large fine. I went to the boat launch today for the bigger side of the lake and there was no where to pay, people were just putting their boats in or taking them out and driving off. I went to the actually conservation side of the park with the discovery center and little farm there with the horses, I can see where you would have to pay there, they actually have a gatehouse. Any information would be good.

Rob

Hello, I heard someone saying fishing there without paying is a large fine. I went to the boat launch today for the bigger side of the lake and there was no where to pay, people were just putting their boats in or taking them out and driving off. I went to the actually conservation side of the park with the discovery center and little farm there with the horses, I can see where you would have to pay there, they actually have a gatehouse. Any information would be good.

Rob

Last time I was there, there was a box where you can pay (honour system??) mounted on the sign of the reservoir (dam) side OR you can pay at the conservation area. Me and my buddy caught a couple nice three footer pike on topwater at Mountsberg. That's a blast. Garbage EVERYWHERE though.