need some reel tips

forrest

I currently have a few spinning reel setups and need to improve on the ultralight -> light tackle.

The issue with my current setup is that it takes 4 or 5 turns to take up line slack before I can use the rod to dig the hook in.

So, I think what I am looking for is reel with high gear ratio, fat spool and 7oz, or so, and less, and, of course a smooth drag and easy bail roll over.

Any good ideas on how I can improve my setup (new reel for now)?

forrest

I think you will most spinning reels these days have a 5.2 to 1 ratio. However a lot of the taking up line slack is done by the rod as you are reeling too.... longer the rod the faster the uptake of the line. I tend to lift the rod as I am reeling then when I feel tension I set the hook.

I think you will most spinning reels these days have a 5.2 to 1 ratio. However a lot of the taking up line slack is done by the rod as you are reeling too.... longer the rod the faster the uptake of the line. I tend to lift the rod as I am reeling then when I feel tension I set the hook.

I am doing that but its taking a lot longer than I would like. A longer rod is in the plans but I was hoping to get another foot or two more from a big spool or a quantum baitcaster "burner" (7:1) type spinning reel.

forrest

I am doing that but its taking a lot longer than I would like. A longer rod is in the plans but I was hoping to get another foot or two more from a big spool or a quantum baitcaster "burner" (7:1) type spinning reel.

forrest

That's the biggest problem with the micro light sized spinning reels the spool size is no good regardless of what gear ratio you have. 100:1 around a spool the size of a thimble will still only take in a foot of line. Just how small is your reel? If you're looking for a small reel but not necessarily a "ultralight" by classic definitions, look into the US Reel supercasters. They're small lightweight reels with near normal sized spools. I think the price range is about $80 - 150 but i could be off on the top end. I saw them when they first came out. They're definitely cool and built with a purpose.