Sonar Output Power

wkrp

I am in the market for a new fishfinder and have narrowed my choices to the Eagle Fishmark 480 - Lowrance X125 - Lowrance X135. The Sonar Output Power of these units is 1500W, 2400W and 4000W respectively. Is it worth the extra cost for the extra output power and what is the advantage other than a greater sonar depth capability?

I wouldn't go with anything under 4,000w. Not so much for the depth but for the clarity of the signal. Within a couple of years I doubt you'll be able to find a unit under 4,000 watts.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 2400 watt. I stepped up from a 2400 to a 4000 watt unit and can't tell that much difference, but I fish relatively shallow water.

I think another important question you need to ask yourself is what kind of transducer do you want. I stepped down from a triple beam transducer to a dual beam transducer and don't like it as much, I'll be purchasing the quadruple beam transducer here shortly. Dual beams are good for deep water fishing (100' and deeper), but for less than 100' i like a triple or quadruple beam.

Hope this helps!