A Good Afternoon of Bassin'.

Mike Pike

With the river levels finally receding and the water clearing, I decided to hit the rivers this past week. On Friday afternoon, I took off to a Grand River trib in the KW area to track down some Smallies.

When I arrived, I was glad to see the river had indeed finally settled down. Still at a higher than normal level for this time of year and the visibility was still barely more than a foot but that's better than the rushing chocolate milk of a week ago!

The fish were not in their usual haunts with the higher water so I moved around 'til I saw some bait fish busting on the surface. I took that as a good sign and cast my Mepps #3 spinner into the middle of the excitement. It wasn't long before I connected with a beauty 14-incher that jumped and used the current to its advantage. Actually caught a few of these scrappy little fellows.

gallery_35_513_7140.jpg

The fish all seemed to be holding in current around rocks and in a chasing mood so I retrieved the spinner just barley under the surface occasionally creating a wake and even skipping it above the water like a fleeing bait fish. They seemed to like it and I was rewarded with this 15-incher.

gallery_35_513_19891.jpg

These guys were terrific sport. They were jumping and pulling drag and making for one of my best river trips ever. Unlike the boat guys who can keep their rod tips low to stop the Smallies from jumping, when you're waist deep in water you have to keep your rod tip up and you're at the mercy of the fish while it jumps and dances on the water.

As usual, I ran into a Blue Heron who was also fishing on the river. You can never get to close to these guys before they fly away and this guy took to the trees for safety.

gallery_35_513_34697.jpg

My final tally was six Smallies all between 14 and 17-inches which is a pretty darn nice average for the system. Here is a picture of the 'big girl' being released.

gallery_35_513_43205.jpg

It was a fun afternoon of fishing and nice to get back onto the rivers.

gallery_35_513_38260.jpg

Gotta love the Grand river.

It's funny how you can never get too close to a heron around here. Up at Pigeon lake a couple of weeks ago, a heron landed on the dock and proceeded to panhandle for bluegills and perch that my daughter and an 8yr old boy were catching. It would stand far away until it saw one of the kids bring in a fish. Then after unhooking it we would throw it on the dock and it would come to within 6ft of us to get the fish. After walking back to the end of the dock it would swallow the fish whole and wait patiently for another free meal.

I do love the grand...and some of her tribs ;)

But The Herons seem to like me???

Check this out...I live NO WERE near the River, and one morning I woke up to my Wife saying

"check out this Huge bird on the neighbors roof"

And low and behold....

gallery_338_481_154342.jpg

I found it odd...no ponds or streams close either, unless you consider 10km close?

Thanks for the replies, y'all.

I'm always amazed at where a pair of chest waders can take you. I'm willing to bet that there isn't a member on this board who doesn't live more than a half hour away from great stream and river fishing.

And the best part is, once you jump in the river and start wading, you could be miles away in the northern wilderness and you wouldn't know the difference.

Always fun, and when the fish co-operate.. bonus!

Great stuff Mike. I was out there as well for a couple hours yesterday and your dead right about the water - still not normal but much better than it has been and the smallies seems to be getting fidgity again, they were hitting just about anything (tubes, topwater, worms, spinner). I didn't get the average size you did (well done!) but I managed one above average fish that had his way with me for quite a while before I finally got him in. Your dead on about how much fun they are when your up to your chest in water - hold the tip up and hang on!. Unfortunately I didn't take great pictures so good on you for remembering the camera!

Thanks for the great read - makes we want to head back there tommororw (just might pull it off too!)