Downriggers clinic

audio_mad

I've never tried a deepwater fishing with riggers and now having a new boat I'd like to get into this thing. But before I start buying stuff, I'd love to learn about the equipment and techniques. I saw plenty of ads about trainings in the US but nothing here in Canada. Does anyone know if those courses exist? Or may be some experienced guys would give me a private lesson (with pay) on the water (on the proper equipment, techniques and so on... all about salmon, trout riggers fishing). If some of you would be interested - please drop me a message).

Thanks,

I've never tried deepwater fishing with riggers and now having a new boat I'd like to get into this thing. But before I start buying stuff, I'd love to learn about the equipment and techniques. I saw plenty of ads about trainings in the US but nothing here in Canada. Does anyone know if those courses exist? Or may be some experienced guys would give me a private lesson (with pay) on the water (on the proper equipment, techniques and so on... all about salmon, trout riggers fishing). If some of you would be interested - please drop me a message).

Thanks,

I know what you mean. I'd had no experience with them at all before this week and reading about it on the 'net is just so much mumbo-jumbo when you have trouble correlating what's written to the real thing. I got to spend a few hours out on Lake Manitou with my BIL hunting some Lake Trout. It's surprising how quickly it all makes sense when you can actually handle the gear. He has big Cannons on his boat but I noticed other boats in the camp's little harbour had a much smaller model Cannon. It's not exactly rocket science, but there's definitely a learning curve to getting the ball dropped to the right depth and how you hook the line into the ball. Now the concept of trolling speed and depth etc all make plenty of sense. A little experience with regular baitcasters is a plus.

As I just said to Garry2rs in an email, it seems more like meatfishing, not sport fishing. I still like the casting and reeling of bass fishing, even jigging if you must, but if you want meat for the freezer, trolling's the way to go.

I've got one question though. I asked Doug (BIL) why he was using mono on both his reels. He looked puzzled that I was asking. Perhaps someone here can explain it. He trolls mainly for Lake Trout on Manitoulin (Lake Manitou) and uses a tinny when he is looking for bass etc. I thought trolling at depth was all about using other kinds of line (multi-coloured stuff, wire, lead core, etc). We were running the balls down 80-100' and just barely moving (no gps for him) with the spoons out only 10 or 15' (my estimate from watching him) below where the line is clipped to the ball-line.

BTW. Monkey Puke works. :thumbsup_anim:

JF