Topwater Hybird Stiper Action

mattyk

Got to sneek away from the house this morning for a couple of hours down to the river by my house. I was able to catch 5 of these guys. It was my first time using a Zara Spook. I would wait and watch for the bass to bust the shad on the top then make a cast over to them and they would usually take a nice swipe at it. It was pretty exciting. I must have missed about 10 fish. I had a really big one break my 20lb power pro. They really fight hard for a fish their size. This was my first time using power pro on a spinner real and i kept on getting knots in my line. This has never happened before on my baitcasting gear and 80lb power pro. is there any way to prevent the knots from happening?

Fisrt cast of the day with a Zara Spook

gallery_396_174_728.jpg

Second Cast of the day with Zara Spook

gallery_396_174_37158.jpg

Anytime I get knots, it's because I've gotten sloppy and let the line get too slack while reeling in. If it's drooping between the guides, it lays down messy on the spool, and next cast I'll have problems.

Makes me appreciate the hours I spent as a kid learning to untangle xmas lights. :D

Very cool report and fish! Sounded pretty exciting!

I find I get knots in my power pro when casting. It happens most often if the lure I'm throwing isn't heavy enough....when the rod snaps back after the follow through the line gets caught in the guides and stops for a second causing the knots. It also happens the odd time if it's really windy and I'm casting into it.

I will usually throw on a heavy spoon and cast it as far as I can then reel it in....because as someone else mentioned if the line on the spool is too loose, this can also happen.

With braided I find the heavier weighted line knots less frequently. Watch for line twist which can easily be untwisted by letting line out(without anything attached to it) while you drive the boat for a few minutes. I also find that casting against heavier wind or across heavy wind causes more knots. The trick is to keep an eye on the line. Usually the smallest of twists or knots creates a birds nest if you ignore it and cast several more times.