Provincial Park choices

timmeh

Hello,

Sometime in August I will be taking off for a weekend and I'm looking to stay at one of the many provincial parks in the Parry Sound - Huntsville area. I'm considering the following parks: Arrowhead, Mikisew, Restoule, or Grundy Lake. I will not have a boat so any fishing I do will be from shore. Also I some of these parks rent canoes, however I'm not very experienced in fishing from canoes and neither are the people going with me so that is probably out, although I may try. So does anyone know how the shore fishing opportunities are in these parks?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

The only one I can help you with is Arrowhaead. It's a great park to stay at. Really clean nice park. Fairly private sites. Nice trail,waterfall etc. Nice little canoe run as well. The fishing was okay, but nothing to write home about. A great family vacation park and being almost right in Huntsville was very convenient. Although it's far from remote, we enjoyed our stay for sure.

Restoule is a great park. The park is a little more isolated than the others and provides more of a secluded adventure. The park is surrounded by crownland. As for fishing from shore there are some places inside the park that offer descent bass fishing from the docks or shore. There are a few back lakes that are fishable from shore after a drive on backroads to get to them. The government dock in town provides some shore angling opportunities for bass,pike and even musky. There are several places to rent a boat and motor from in town and keep it docked in the park. The prices start at about 60 bucks plus gas a day.If you want to catch some walleye,lake trout or even musky a boat is a must. Shore fishing in the park is spotty st best due to the very shallow water on the park side.A canoe would be okay but the park side is usually very windy making canoeing difficult. The fishing in the lakes is very good but a boat is needed to access the better opportunities.