who cant wait for fall time bows?!?!

MuddyWater

Guest Fishing For Life

man O man,

my centerpin reel started rusting already ...

why dont rainbows spawn all year round ... then none of us have to wait!

man O man,

my centerpin reel started rusting already ...

why dont rainbows spawn all year round ... then none of us have to wait!

Here is the funny thing if you know how to float for steelies you should be able to the same thing for bass using gulp live or live leeches but you never heard from me LOL..... The trouble is most true steelheaders don't recognize their favourite haunts unless there is a foot of snow on the ground and ice bergs floating by while they wade along looking for spots.

Here's a few...as much as I LOVE steelhead fishing....I can wait another month I think.

steelie1.jpg

These was taken from a protected spot....it was amazing seeing them come in from the big lake and into this tiny little creek....

fishing16.jpg

fishing15.jpg

Those fish are abundantly available right now in 360 feet of water.... and no one to push you out of the way and nothing but blue sky and tons of open water! And it's virtually impossible to line them"

HH

Thanks Joe...so...my chest waders likely wouldn't do out there?? LOL.

Maybe I'll use a float tube....how far off shore is 360 feet of water???

So what you are telling me is to leave the marshmallows on shore for that outing??? hehe.

,man i really want to get into this fall rainbow action...

is there anything special that i would need? or can i use spinning gear?

You can use spinning gear. Although longer rods help because then you can use lighter line (which isn't nearly as important as it used to be now with fluoro leaders) You can use a 7ft spinning rod I would recommend a reel that holds at least 250yds plus of 8 lb line though. A 7ft rod for chucking spoons for salmon is ok and you may just hook into something. If you get a salmon off a pier you will understand pretty quickly why I suggest the reel needs to hold 250yds of line. LOL I have been very close to being spooled and my reel will take 330 yds of 6lb test easily.... some fish just don't want to come in and if you add a outgoing river current they can go a ways before tiring out.

Also with a rod that short you can try bottom fishing off of piers. Basics are a 3ft 6lb fluoro leader, with a number 12 or 10 size hook with a number 10 or 12 swivel above the swivel you put on an sliding sinker the size will depend on the current use the lightest sinker you can that will still hold bottom I have found that the pyramid sinkers work better than the egg type. For bait can blow up a worm or use a roe bag tied with some floaters in it as the bait has to be up off the bottom. Keep your bail open and use a small weighted bottle or stone to keep your line tight..... Watch for that little bottle to fall over take up the slack and nail that steelie, and hang on.

While it is possible to float fish with a 7ft spinning rod I would recommend only doing that off a pier too, because in a river you are going to having such short drifts that unless you out there by yourself you are going to hearing a lot of comments from other anglers. I love the looks you get when you float fish off a pier..... you know everybody is calling you an idiot until you land the first fish of the day that is LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan