Forcast says another week of rain!

Garry2Rs

It has rained every evening or overnight for what seems like two weeks or more.

I have been fishing about ten of those fourteen days.

I think I am noticing a gradual but persistent decline in the bite, but it's hard to be sure.

July2208-1.jpg

The fish in the shallows seem smaller and harder to come-by.

007-1.jpg

I am also noticing an absence of LMBass in the shallows, possibly because the weed beds are still very thin on my rocky Canadian Shield type lakes.

July1908015.jpg

The better fish are deeper and slower to hit a bait...

That's not to say we aren't catching fish, just that the bite seems slow to me.

July22-08-2.jpg

The most consistently productive technique for bigger fish, in these rocky lakes, has basically been a Carolina or a Split-Shot Rig dragged on the bottom.

What are you guys thinking and seeing in your areas?

Garry2R's

Looks liek a record breaker...

Form the Globe and Mail

Hard rains

Normally, Toronto receives a single torrential downpour every summer. In the past two months, there have been five super soakings, approaching the 1980 record for the wettest June and July.

FIVE GOOD SOAKINGS THIS SUMMER:

In millimetres

June 9: 27.6

June 28: 27.0

July 8: 29.2

July 19: 28.2

July 20: 51.2

Wettest June/July 271.5: June/July 1980

June/July 2008 with 9 days to go: June/July 2008

Normal average total 74.4; July avg.

I believe that the number of fish I am catching is consistent with other years but the size is way, way down. However if this amount of rain keeps up it will be very benefical for the water table where I live which is good so I can put up with having to fish harder for decent fish...

What worries me though is too many more "soakings" and some very badly needed crops around here will be ruined which will be a very real disaster, given the worldwide low stocks of wheat, corn and beans...

And this was the summer the weatherman was calling to be the "driest/hottest summer on record", same weatherman was calling last fall for the "driest/coldest winter on record". :blahblah1: and we all know the three meters of snow on both sides of my driveway last winter.

This just tells you how the so called "global warming crowd" has NO IDEA about what the weather is going to be, and all their talk is full of political crap!!! :wallbash:

All I am hoping is all this rain runs out before second week in August. :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Well on lake ontario its been a non-factor,because there has been little wind,but the last few days it has shifted,and the warm waters are here from the other side,and now theres a thermolcline starting up,so it will force the big fish farther out into the lake,its not a good sign!!!!..walleye fishing has been great but a bit of a decline as well due to the win ds,but it should get a little more stable in a few days according to the weather network !!!! im curious what others say in different areas..cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: