need help with florida fishing

The inlwas want to fly my wife and son to florida for a week over the christmas break. Origianlly i shot this down, not wanting to go to florida when its 45-50 f, its like reliving fall all over again lol

then the light bulb went off. hmmmm there is some huge bass in florida???? my question is..... is there any freshwater areas to fish for bass near panama city? also i have tried to find open seasons but am having a hard time. is fishing open in florida for bass in december?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Most bass fishing takes place in central Florida. However I'm sure there are still plenty of bass in the panhandle. Have you considered any saltwater fishing? I'll poke around a bit and see what I can find out.

Bass fishing is open year 'round in Florida!

The Dead Lakes (actually 1 lake) near Wewahitchka will be your best bet for BIG Bass in the Panama City area. It is a Cypress stump swamp.

The most effective way to fish it is with a 20' long cane pole rigged with 25 lb. test mono a large bobber and a 6-12" live Golden Shiner. Drop the live Shiner at every stump you see, if no bite in 1 minute... move to another stump. A 5-15 lb. Bass is a helluva fight on a 20' cane pole. Hire a guide if you can for the first day.

Wewa is about a 45 min-1 hr. drive from P.C.

If I was you, I'd charter an inshore saltwater trip for Bull Redfish and Saltwater Sheepshead (Convict Fish). The Red (fish) and Black drum will rip your shoulders out of the socket and there isn't any finer eating than the Sheepshead (different from fresh water). The Bull Reds will definately be running at that time of year.

Deep sea isn't worth the time at that time of year because Red Snapper and Grouper seasons are closed.

If you need anymore info you can PM me.

Dead Lakes:

http://www.wildernet.com/pages/area.cfm?ar...ELK&CU_ID=1

btw... this is the size of the Redfish you can catch down there from shore and small boats in the Fall and winter:

GulfShoresOct2007003.jpg

Picture1008.jpg

The fish in the foreground are Sheepshead (Convict Fish)

Edited by Greencoachdog

Yup, redfish is a hell of alot of fun. Aswell basically any Pier you find, especially by breakwalls has lots of fish... fish for them with a 1/4-1/2 oz egg sinker abover a swivel with a 1ft heavy (25lb+) leader with some fresh dead shrimp which have been peeled... toss it and leave it anywhere by the pier and you should have some luck... we got upwards of 6 species of fish around 5lb's and up doing that. Lots of fun. Good luck to you!

I was born there in Panama city but left there 46 years ago.Green trout(bass) are prolly still hanging out there ,Dawg prolly knows what he is talikin bout.

Joe

All this time I tought you were a Coonass, and it turns out you're actually a danged ol' Sandcrab??? :glare:

I did go to Panama City for a Spring Break weekend back when I was 18... ended up leaving 3 years later!... can you say PARTY!!! :w00t:

... finally sobered up enough to find my way back home...