Storm Fronts

splashhopper

I was up on the Maitland river Friday night and the fishing was awesome..

Landed 22 smallies in two hours.

Lots of fun.

Got my PB smallie (21")>>

22inchsmallie.jpg

And I am thinking , "wow, i have the trailer all to my self this weekend, I can fish my brains out"!

Get up Saturday am, and head back to the hole I fished the night before.

Notta,, nothing for an hour. :wallbash:

So i move down the river....

same thing.. nothing. :wallbash:

I did this for two more hours..

Not even a bite??

The weather channel was calling for Thunderstorms and high winds for the afternoon( Sat.).

The wind was coming in from the south and bringing a LOT of humidity with it.( Light sprinkle of rain came.)

My question is:

Do the fish some how sense a storm front is coming and just shut down and stop feeding?

Thanks for some insight in to this.

Splashhopper

They can sense it I believe. However, I've found that just before a storm the feed turns on...not off.

If anything, barometric pressure and wind direction plays more into what happened to you. If the wind is going the wrong way, many of my shore spots won't produce. Extremely high pressure doesn't work out very well for us either. Low pressure, with westerly winds seem to be the best for my shore spots.

They can sense it I believe. However, I've found that just before a storm the feed turns on...not off.

If anything, barometric pressure and wind direction plays more into what happened to you. If the wind is going the wrong way, many of my shore spots won't produce. Extremely high pressure doesn't work out very well for us either. Low pressure, with westerly winds seem to be the best for my shore spots.

The winds were coming from the south and I was fishing the north shore.( suggested by people here on other posts)

I am not sure what the barometric pressure direction was, but i do know I get headaches when it is rising and i had one all day too. :wallbash:

No one else on te shores were getting anything and the boats that were coming in because of the wind all gave us the thumbs DOWN on their outings too.

Odd because usually before the storm is the best time to get 'em. Perhaps the fish didn't shut down, just switched locations. There are a lot of other factors too.

Barometer can make or break a day though, I believe it.

I was in the same boat earlier this season so I did some researching.

Apparently, when a storm comes in, the barometric pressure drops ... and fish is supposed to turn on ... when it moves out, pressure comes back up, and they become less active.

I got out on the day right after a big storm has passed ... and didn't catch much... so i blamed it on the pressure haha.

I was catching before and during the rain on Saturday.... The fishing however there was much better last Saturday. I did not get back to that spot on later on Saturday or Sunday but the fishing was HORRIBLE where I did head to.

On Sunday it was slow during the early morning sprinkles for about 1 1/2 hrs, but fish were biting. After the rain stopped EVERTHING but the sheephead had lock jaw. Of course by that time the water was the color of a chocolate milk SHAKE. Then grass was atangling your line every cast too. Not really great conditions for perching anyhow.

I think wind direction, water clarity play as big a part in things as a storm every could. Barometric pressure I don't really follow but if will give an edge or another scientific excuse I will have to start I guess LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

After the rain stopped on Sunday, I got only 2 basses on Belwood and Guelph. That was the worst day for me during this summer. Maybe the moon? :o Also on Saturday the Grand was completely out of scope because of extremely high water level. Actually what happened to Grand River? When is the water level supposed to be dropped down?

We were a couple hours north of Toronto and had much better luck on Saturday than Sunday. Actually packed it in a bit early on Sunday due to the slow bite. Great time anyway getting out of the city.

Gotta figure out the weather connection for better fishing. :lol: