Stony Lake report

kemper

Up at 4 AM sunday, on the water with two of my best buddies for some bass slayin on stony lake. BEAUTIFUL morning, and as usual the fishing was excellent. We long distance released two monster bass today, one because of a bad hookset and the other because I slipped and fell off the boat seat that I was standing on (note to self, flip flops and wet boat seats are a no no).

Nothing to write home about, but consistant fishing with almost all the bass around 1.5 pounds. Hit 4 or 5 double headers, and even one triple header which was kinda cool.

Here is one of the doubles.

med_gallery_256_231_33062.jpg

We went in and tossed the ball around and killed time at the BBQ until about 5 before going out again, it was just TOO hot. This time their old man ( my buddies are brothers) came out and outfished us 'punk kids'. He probably landed 20 bass before dark, totally put the clinic on us. I made the mistake of asking him if a small bass that he caught 'came in mens', he proceeded to catch larger bass on the next three casts.

Did not take many pics because they were all cookie cutter bass, but got some scenery in at the end of the night.

med_gallery_256_231_28976.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_40204.jpg

Awesome day on the water with great friends!

Now on a totally unrelated note, after hearing that rock bass was amazing eating I decided to give it a go. Caught 9 or 10 rockies on lake O the other day and brought them home for a swim in the hot butter spa. I can honestly say that they are the second best fish I have ever tasted, second only to the pickeral. Also, not as hard to clean as I may have thought.

med_gallery_256_231_70424.jpg

You ate something out of Lake O? Guess it'll be easy to find you shore fishing next time...just look for the glow.... :lol:

Great report Kemper...and some real nice fish too. I never make fun of other people's fish (ok..except for Mike the Pike), cause I know it'll come back and bite me in the butt!! LOL

Nice report and pics of Green Trout!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Those Rockbass are Sunfish, and all Sunfish (cept maybe Bass) taste great!!! :P

Speaking of trout, my buddy caught a REAL one out of a Lake O trib yesterday....strange.

Guest Johnny Bass

I usually target Musky and pickerel and smallies in Stony. I may pull out the jig and pig and try for some largies! My grandmother used to love easting rock bass. Never tried them but we were pulling some real slabs out of Erie with Rich.

I usually target Musky and pickerel and smallies in Stony. I may pull out the jig and pig and try for some largies! My grandmother used to love easting rock bass. Never tried them but we were pulling some real slabs out of Erie with Rich.

Surprised you have never run into a rediculous number of largies? I find that lake to have the highest rate of catching of any that I have fished, I have been out 4 or 5 times the last three years and never caught less than 20 largies. Not a ton of size in general but a hell of a lot of fun!

There is definatly a huge musky population though, this is the first year that we did not hook an incidental ski, probably because of the bluebird skies