Paperwork for a new boat

smbhunter

About one month ago I purchased a new boat, splitting the cost with my dad, and was just wondering how long it usually takes for the paperwork to be done?

The boat is going under my name, but is still under the dealers name. I am under the impression that when an item like this is purchased the ownership is transferred prior to pickup. I could very well be wrong, but I have purchased 2 vehicles and a boat from dealerships in the past and have never run into this problem.

A very recent thread has brought something else to my attention. If I were to get a visit from the OPP while enjoying a day on the water, and they were to ask for the boat ownership, would I receive a fine if I presented them with ownership papers not stating that I am the owner, or would this document be acceptable? I should mention as well, that I do keep a copy of the bill of sale with me, to go along with the ownership, however, the bill of sale does not include the motor which was purchased with the boat package, somehow the motor was left off the bill of sale. I have tried to speak with the dealer about this, but nothing has been done yet.

The boat has been in my possession for about three weeks now and I have taken it out twice, only to encounter a series of problems, (one was a very serious leak in the gas line) that I did take it back in to get repaired. On my second trip out with the boat, I tried testing the livewell switches and pumps which were non functional during the first trip. I discovered that the switches all worked, the pumps all worked, but the front livewell wasn't filling up with water. I checked all the valves and was wondering if it could be a faulty impeller on the pump?

I have also been having problems with the ordering of some accessories. Apparently, I didn't pay enough for an extra seat, bimini cover, and a boat cover. They won't order the extra seat or the bimini cover, (the boat cover I have already), until this gets straightened out. My understanding is that whatever is on the bill of sale is what I get, at that price. The issue should be with the salesman, not myself. The boat has been fully paid for, so I have no intention of paying anything else.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had some insight into this situation. Thanks in advance.

Take all the paperwork into a Services Canada branch and they should get you the ownership / registration right then and there. If you don't have all the required paperwork, they will let you know what you need.

Maybe call first, ask what they want to see and have it before going in. When I registered mine, I was in and out in about 15 mins. I took in the bill of sale from the marina and I think the previous owner registration and that was it.

Very easy to do.

It took me about 15 minutes on the phone to Services Canada to find out what I needed.

I ended up bringing the old boat registration info, a copy of the sales receipt from the boat and motor and I left there with a new registration in my name.

My understanding is that if the boat was given to you, or there is no receipt that you need some kind of notarized document saying that it's yours.

Total time in Services Canada office was 10 minutes...mind you, I got there right when they opened up for the day.

wow smbhunter, that sounds like a real run around. :huh:

you should have gotten all that stuff from the dealer when you purchased the boat, before it left the dealership I would think.

When we got our boat package brand new in 2003, it was all done when we rolled off the lot...all the upgrades that where purchased on top of the original package price, registration/numbers/paperwork from the Department of Oceans and Fisheries, as well as the registration and plate for the trailer. We just had to go to the dealership the day the boat came in, meet one of the guys at the dock for a test drive...dot a couple I's, cross a couple T's and we where on our way with everything we needed.

Wow, sounds like you are buying a boat from the Marina that I got my first one from. Absolute horendous service. They should have done the work for you. But the others have already told you what to do. Make sure you have the serial number for them. Don't forget the trailer as well.

With this boat being only 3 weeks old, and having this many problems I am guessing it is a used boat? I would seriously consider taking it back. You should not be having problems buying from a marina right away. Can only guess what you are going to experience a year from now.

you should have gotten all that stuff from the dealer when you purchased the boat, before it left the dealership I would think.

This is exactly what I was thinking, it should have been done before I picked up the boat.

With this boat being only 3 weeks old, and having this many problems I am guessing it is a used boat? I would seriously consider taking it back. You should not be having problems buying from a marina right away. Can only guess what you are going to experience a year from now.

Actually, it's a brand new boat, but if these problems persist I'll take your advice and take it back.

About the paperwork issues, I was under the impression that the offices of Services Canada would be busy at certain times, just like everywhere else. If you arrive at an earlier hour there won't be much of a line, just like ccmt stated. The response I got from the lady that handles the paperwork was that it takes time to get this done and it seemed like it would be a hassle and a great inconvenience to her to do it. I'm thinking after all this that I should just do it myself and not only get it done, but get it done quick and right.

Thank you all for responding, I greatly appreciate the input from everyone.

Cheers and tight lines.