Help with Fishfinder / Sonar

pro190

I have a Lowrance X50-DS sonar (came new with boat) that I have been trying to set up to help aid in locating fish but it just doesn't seem to work - as in no fish arches. I've read that the best way to use sonar is to manually set your settings so I've spent the last few fishing trips experimenting with a manual set up and everything seems good except no fish arches. I know there are fish down there because I can sometimes see them and catch them but nothing on my display. I've been through my manual many times, checked the angle/alignment of the transducer, been to the Lowrance website etc. etc. but still nothing seems to work. Of course, when I set everything to auto and use the fish ID symbol I see lots of potential targets (some real, some not) but as soon as I switch to manual it all disappears!! :wallbash:

Does anyone else have this model and can perhaps offer tips that may work?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Kevin

I have the same one if i am not mistaken it has to do with the transducer the way

you angle it

it shows you it in the book page 13 if you have the book also check out page 37

Rob

Edited by memart

Yes, its reading depth accurately and I typically fish less than 30 feet of water. I've experimented with different depth settings - 5 or 6 feet to the 30 foot range and I do see bottom structure.

I've also adjusted the angle of the transducer, washed it to make sure there's no gunk/build up on it.

You may just see lines that are the fish. The arches are when you move over fish or the fish move though the transducer cone. When the distance from the fish moves closer to the transducer then farther away you then get an arch.

If you are moving forward and the transducer is at the back of the boat in 30ft or less you may not be marking fish because the boat is spooking them.

A stick in the water will make an arch if you travel over it. So dont worry about seeing an arch.

n2fish...xcuse my spelling if out because no glasses to be found .

...but I just had to drop in on this post cuz perhaps somilar probs..

wired up my new sonar and havent seen an arch yet...

Ive caught fish....

Yje depth is correct...

So's the temp....the MPH etc.....

I can see hard/soft bottom...

The only distinguishable mark ....what I fihure to be fish is..

..is relatively lighter colour blue depending on the closeness and the size of the fish....football shaped most of the time.

You can also deyect the colour diff on the bottom if in weeds or amongst rocks or not

Still no arches here either and Ive experimented with the transducer....

Currently it points directly back from the boat on the bottom of the transom....probly about 2" clearance

Good Q bud!

Looking for answers as well...

Thanks for posting this.

Edited by brickNblock

I have the 50 as well.Although its not the best unit on the market it will mark fish and bait balls.I run mine in manual mood and set the sensitivity as high as I can.Usally 95-100%.I turn it up till it is unreadable then back it off about 3% so there is still some cluter but you can read threw it.Fish are not always the classic arc.If they are active and on the move they will appear as blobs.I usally concentrate on finding bait fish and structure as that is where the fish are.If I mark some fish around them than great but if I don't ,I still fish there and have caught lots of fish were none were marked.

Hope this helps.