No luck fishing in the turning basin of the Toronto Harbour

jimvanm

A few weeks ago I was driving around the Toronto harbour area with the kids, and I thought it'd be interesting to drop a line into the turning basin and see what might be caught.

After a few minutes another fellow showed up and started fishing. I figured that was a good sign.

After a while I went up to him and asked him what sort of luck he'd had fishing in the basin. He admitted that this was the first time he'd fished it, and only tried because he saw me.

Didn't get so much as a nibble, but then again I didn't stick around for too long.

I guess that basin probably gets dredged for weeds, so there's probably not a lot of places for smaller fish to hide. Part of me figures there can't be many fish in there (if at all), and another part of me figures if there's a pond as big as that which is connected to a large lake by a wide channel, there has got to be some fish that have worked their way into it over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone has caught (or has heard of anyone catching) any sort of fish in there?

• 8 years later...

In regards to the turning basin... there are fish there. My work is right at the end of the ship channel and I've seen and caught some monster size fish here. I've caught a northern pike about 2.5 ft in length, a gar pike 2 ft in length, brown trout, and numerous monster size carp. The pike like following the wall in search of bait fish feeding off the algae, the brown trout are usually seen early mornings jumping and feeding on flies, and carp are seen daily swimming back and fourth near the surface soaking up the sun.

It's illegal to fish there; or anywhere else in the shipping channel. The eastern and western gaps are also off limits for fishing.

Re: "David Clark Toronto Port Authority Law States there is no fishing in the East and West Gaps of the Toronto Harbour or the Shipping Channel and connected Turn Around Basin either from shore or boat. You may be charged under Rule(s) # 24 and 25 of the Practices and Proceedures Document June 2000 Toronto Port Authority. The fine is $2000. How do i know this? In 2012 the Toronto Marine Unit tried to charge a few of us with that law but when we were fishing from the shoreline of Toronto's Parks. We fought it and won. TUFA was born from this battle. But had we been fishing thew western Gap or the other locations we would have been charged, convicted and fined. End of this arguement. Xiao knows Toronto fishing and Ontario fishing regulations better than most. He is also a great angler. If he offers advice it might be best to listen and not argue a defence or enabling angle. You asked...he told you how it is.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=0187085e63957410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=5c98dada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Edited by JohnBacon

I've heard of the odd fish caught there, including walleye. But I'd probably spend time elsewhere around the lakefront. Would be cool to catch a fish in there however. PM me if you do please, I'd like to know what it was...