Do fish learn not to bite lures?

jimvanm

What he had caught was one of the still alive filleted fish with no flesh attached to it. Tell me that fish had a memory and didn't bite out of instinct???

sounds like an urban legend to me. Without any muscles for swimming or fins for control, the fish would not be able to get to the lure.

I heard a similar story about pike when i was younger and I did the same to see if it would move in the water. My friend and i were so disappointed when it sunk to the bottom like any other fish carcass. I don't doubt the fish still has some functions left if is cleaned quickly, sorta like that guy on youtube with his leg shredded by a shark in 2' of water. Okay, it's nothing like that guy's leg...

I read an article in a fishing mag a few years back about a guy that had caught a limit of Walleye. He kept them in his live well until he reached the dock. The guy was very proficient in cleaning fish and could do so without penetrating the rib cage. So he proceeded to clean his live fish and threw the carcasses back into the lake. Not long after, someone came down to the dock and started to fish. Soon after he had a fish on the line. What he had caught was one of the still alive filleted fish with no flesh attached to it. Tell me that fish had a memory and didn't bite out of instinct???

I can't believe that one Dan! :rolleyes:

If his knife never penetrated the rib cage, that would leave the swim bladder intact with no flesh for balast and no muscles to swim with... I'm pretty sure the remains would've floated and not sunk to the bottom.

... and that someone that started fishing is a SNAGGER!!! :wallbash:

... don't try to B.B. us Bubba. ;)

Edited by Greencoachdog

Here is one for you. Bass tournament. Had a big smallmouth break off a tube jig. Came back 5 mins later hit the same colour/size tube jig. The first tube was still in his mouth only a bit further down. Not the smartest fsih in the world.

This is so true. Buddy broke off,I casted and wham,the same smallie,with a tube in it,s mouth.

Fish are stupid,just like us that buy every friggn lure that is out there,LOL.