White Bass?

Many years ago i would catch white bass at L. Ontario creek mouths at this time of year.

Caught perch, sunfish, rock bass as well at this time.

The white bass liked real small spinners with bit of worm on it.

Cheers,

ehg

The one I caught was only about 1/2 lb. Do they school? Can they be caught in numbers?

Yes they do school, if you found one you should find more. Try small spinners as suggested.

How big can they get? Any limits on them as I saw nothing in the regs.

There is no limit or closed season on white bass in Ontario. They aren't caught often enough or really that widespread.

They can get to few lbs. but mostly they are 7- 10 inches around creekmouths of the Great lakes.

Here is one my fishing buddy caught. They don't get much bigger.

IMG_0012-4.jpg

ehg

caught & released a lot of them last year @ high park, biggest one is about half a pound. from what i've observed they're most active around 2nd to last week of august and are often caught with 3-way bottom rigs with worms. i heard they're good eats too.

Edited by bravo_3

they are definitely a schooling fish... at least they are when they're in lakes... not sure about rivers... they are tasty too, i kept a few that i caught out on west lake a couple weeks ago... still got some in the freezer, might cook 'em up tomorrow night during the forecasted t-storms!