Well Water Pump

mason05

My water pump is running a lot louder than usual and during its cycle is "pinging" every 5-10 seconds. I think the bearings are about to go. My guess is that it's time for a new one. Any suggestions from the plummas on this board? Thanks in advance.

Corn Nug

Do you have a sand point well? and if so you might have to have the pump cleaned and overhauled, if not feel the pump if it's running hot during the cycle then time for a new one as it would be more money replacing the bearings that actually buy a new pump.

Hope this help

Ken

I am no sure what Pinging is but from the discription you are close to needing a replacement. I am not a big fan of just replacing the bearing or components because they have all worked hard thru it's life and as soon as one part wears out then the others are soon to follow. Replacing the pump as a unit will save you more than enough money because the plumber will not have to spend labor pulling,repairing, and reinstalling the unit. If you are comfortable replacing the unit yourself you can save even more money and it is not that hard to do.

Art

Thanks for all the input guys. I figured I'd be looking at replacement and I'm more comfortable with new than rebuilt. I might even try to tackle it myself but I'd hate to be without water for a day or two if I bugger something up in the installation process. Thanks again for your help. Any plummas on this board from the hamilton/milton area? (Ontario of course)

Corn Nug

I have a shallow well set up here in Burlington,and have replaced everything from the foot valve to the pressure tank myself,home depot has everything you need. it all depends on your setup ?shallow or deep and what hp your pump is. hope this helps and good luck