Thursday on lake Scugog

jediangler

Brother Joonmoon was off Thursday (continental shift) and I'm on holidays so we thought we would try some Kawarthas fishing in my Sportspal. Kept a close eye on the weather and wind reports so we could make a wise decision about where to try. With wind at 10-15km/h out of the SW we decided we could safely try lake Scugog. I've been there once with a buddy in his big Lund and Joonmoon has done some ice-fishing there in the past. We made the decision to launch at Caesarea and go west towards the deepest part of the lake. After walking my little one to her last day of grade 2 we drove the 200km and arrived at 12noon.

caesarea.jpg

We found the 20ft deep area and began drifting in and out of the weeds closest to deep water. We started catching crappies right away. Then Joonmoon gets this little cigar walleye.

bogeye.jpg

We also landed many small perch, some good sized WGSF and several oos largemouth all on jig and grub combos. I tried for musky for about an hour but had no takers or followers. Then the thunder started to get louder so we let the drift bring us in a little closer to the shoreline and resumed our crappie fishing. I kept 3 fish between 9-11" for a late night snack and released this 13" crappie as well as about 10 others under 9".

13crappie.jpg

You can see the rain coming in the backround of this pic. It started to rain around 4pm so we put on the raingear and landed a few more before calling it quits at 5pm. After setting everything out to dry I cleaned and cooked my three crappie and ate them at 11pm. I always hated it when people posted pics like this, so now it's my turn.

tasty.jpg

Tasted awesome. Thanks to roasted garlic & butter Fish Crisp.

Thanks to Joonmoon for a great day on the water. Next time we will try up near Birch island and maybe get a musky or two.

Edited by jediangler

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a great day out on the water. Me and Alex went to Scugog for 4 hours and all we caught were lots of rockbass, perch a crappie, a puny Musky and a 2lb pickerel.

I've only fished Scugog from 5-10 times, but with the price of gas going up, I will start fishing Rice and Scugog more often. Thanks for sharing.

MMMMMMM Roasted garlic & butter Fish Crisp!

Yup we learned them Crappie a thing or two...what a fun day even in the monsoon. Next time out we'll find some Skis and a little bigger eyes would be good too...lol. Thank you for an awesome day Bro, do it again soon. B)

I guess maybe salmon on Lake Ontario is the only thing I wouldn't try.

logo.jpg

Everything else is fair game.

3877yellow.jpg

WALLEYE

3877pike.jpg

PIKE

897706sturg5.jpg

MUSKY

3877omeemee.jpg

LARGEMOUTH

3877gue7.jpg

SMALLMOUTH