St Croix XXXH rod?

Sebastian

I'm looking for a heavier musky rod. Something that wont kill my arm when tossing/trolling 13" believers, grandmas, 14" jakes, Legend Plows, etc. The 7'9" St Croix Premier XXXH 8-20oz seems like it'll do the trick but i was wondering if i would be better to go with something like the 6'9" St Croix 3-8oz. How heavy is too heavy? What do you guys use for those big muskie baits on World Class waters like the St Lawrence or Georgian Bay?

Im also considering the 8' Heavy Fig Rig Tooth tamer 8-40oz.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a heavier musky rod. Something that wont kill my arm when tossing/trolling 13" believers, grandmas, 14" jakes, Legend Plows, etc. The 7'9" St Croix Premier XXXH 8-20oz seems like it'll do the trick but i was wondering if i would be better to go with something like the 6'9" St Croix 3-8oz. How heavy is too heavy? What do you guys use for those big muskie baits on World Class waters like the St Lawrence or Georgian Bay?

Im also considering the 8' Heavy Fig Rig Tooth tamer 8-40oz.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thems trollin' lures! You'll kill your arms either way!

If you're serious I'd definately go with the heaviest possible rod like the new St Croix XXXH.

"Thems trollin' lures! You'll kill your arms either way!"

How else would i get arms like this guy?

popeye.jpg

yaya im definately serious. Im leaning towards the heavy heavy rods because i got about 5 other combos for lighter applications. Thanks for your help Pigeontroller.

I don't have any info about the St.Croix, but I have an XH 6'9" Shimano Compre jerkbait rod.. I could toss pounders with this thing with ease, it's got a lot of backbone... Rated for 3-8oz lures like the Avid/Premier is...

It'll be just fine for those baits and anything you can buy. Don't kid yourself though, with a 7000, it is a heavy combo but the length eases casting and figure 8 fatigue and lets you uhh dogslap these lures around.

Can't help you with the fig rig. I am trying the 8'6" xh okuma 4-14oz this year for big baits.

Edited by Raf

Ive got the 7' St croix triumph XH. next time Id go with a longer rod with some more flex in the tip. I originally bought it to jig for lakers in very deep water with a 3oz bucktail. i found the lack of flex with braided line allowed larger fish to create slack and come off (barbless hooks...)