French River

zman

Hey everyone I haven't posted in a long time been pretty busy with work and my 2 girls

I will be heading up to the french river some Muskies in 2 weeks anyoen have any good tips for me

I will staying near the Dokis reservation . i have never fished allot up there for them Just looking for some good advice .

Also will be doing some Walleye fishing.

I think you'll really need to key in on new weed growth. I just got back from 3 days on the French (Main Channel, Dry Pine Bay, etc) without even a follow. The high water levels and weather has really stunted the weed growth this year.

Hopefully, by the time you get out there things are a little more inline with what they should be.

Another french musky hunter. Well an OFNer went this past weekend, without much success. It is a hard place to fish and hard to find them. Look for weed growth adjacent to deeper water. I think a Km or so South of the Dokis reservation there are a couple of cabins (Brian's place, don't remeber the lodge but the owner was unforgettable, great guy btw) with a dock wrapping around the lakefront. That little bay in there has plenty of weed growth and we got a HUGE ski follow but no takey.

Good luck,

reefrunner

P.S. beat me to it BillM, lol

Edited by reefrunner

Enjoyed good times at Casa Blanca the past 2 years with Bryan. We did the American Plan. Food was very good.

Fishing for smallmouth is great. Caught smallmouth up to 20 inches. A lot of fun fishing below Chaudiere Dam for smallmouths. Caught some 15 inch white bass for the first time which surprised us. Never knew they were in the system. Hooked a 40+inch muskie there too but could not hold it more than 2 minutes in the current from shore.

Fish the docks behind Sandy Island at the mouth of the French for smallmouth.

Sad to see the lodge owners struggling with business. The gas prices, exchange rate and creel limits are doing a job on them over all Canada. Personally I agree with improving the fishery with slot and creel limits.

Have a great time,

Don