Landing Musky in a kayak

singingdog

Lots of good replies and stories, lotsa examples of what a musky's power and teeth can do.

SNAG's first reply sounds like ya gotta be very careful musky fishing in a kayak.

A boga that 'swivels' sounds alright from canoe, definitely need tools listed in reply below at the ready as well.

I learned my lesson last summer.

Dont ever take a Muskie's strength or predictability for granted!

since then....I have purchased extra long bent needle-nose pliers, a good pair of mini bolt cutters and a few packs of 5 odd trebles. Since this mis-hap, I no longer try to dig out hooks. I simply cut the hooks and replace the entire treble.

Meely

Edited by ehg

I now hand land and use a smaller set up similar to what Musky and Specks showed in his reply. I know that these are unpopular among most musky fishermen on the board but my belief is they work quicker and are safer, for me and the fish, in most cases.

I agree with Pure, carp fishing in a kayak is way harder than musky fishing. You effectively become part of the tackle. You are the bobber, following the carp wherever it wants to take you. When you do finally tire one out, there is nowhere to grab them. Here's one from a pond off the Grand and one from Gordon Pittock conservation area.

1127107flats1.jpg

1127107pitt1.jpg

While I have not caught as many musky as Lew ... yet :) ... I have to wonder about the wisdom of landing any large musky in a kayak. A 48" + thick fish is a handful under the best of conditions. I'm with Lew in terms of where to hold the fish and I also agree that any of the "grip" devices are likely to hurt the fish regardless of their design.

Seems to me the gent above has the right idea -- get to shore and do it there, if at all possible.

Also -- have a pair of Knipex with you ... eventually you will need them.

steve_ paul, I ordered mine from Saskatchewan and had them in a couple days.

Don't know if $48.85 is the best price available, but I was happy with the service and it's a Canadian company.

I went with the springloaded ones as I find them the best to work with.

www.theringlord.com >>> tools >>>cutters >>> cobalt cutter with spring

steve_ paul, I ordered mine from Saskatchewan and had them in a couple days.

Don't know if $48.85 is the best price available, but I was happy with the service and it's a Canadian company.

I went with the springloaded ones as I find them the best to work with.

www.theringlord.com >>> tools >>>cutters >>> cobalt cutter with spring

Thanks Lew, will order them today and should have them in lots of time for our French River trip at the end of the month.

Your welcome steve_paul, just be sure to tie them to your boat with a long lanyard or something, they're too darned expensive to drop in the drink :lol:

I use a long expandable telephone cord that works well, it was a tip I recieved from TEP

Thanks for the replies. For now, I am just going to stick with single-hook lures, jaw spreaders, long nose pliers and bolt cutters. I had a very fiesty fish yesterday - probably about 35" - that I just clipped the spinnerbait hook on: small price to pay for watching a 3' fish charge a spinnerbait in 16 of water.

For the record, I have no intention of putting a musky in my lap, especially one with treble hooks in it :o ....seems like a great way to get hooked in parts that I don't ever want to get hooked.

For those folks that are doubtful about musky fishing out of a kayak, check out what is going on these days in kayak fishing. Compared to some of the fish that are being caught by kayak fisherman, a musky is not that big: 400 lb salmon sharks, threshers, bluefin tuna....

i landed a few musky in my kayak last season, most of them i didnt even have to take outta the water. after the fish gets tired, lift its head out of the water, remove the hooks with pliers, revive then release. but thats also why i don't have any pics of my muskies.

ive never fished from a kayak. i've never fished for musky, either. and i've never caught anything bigger than 12" if that. but i'm still surprised nobody mentioned cradles. i guess that's because you'd have to lean too far to one side to keep the cradle in the water...

ok.

i got a 36 incher and prob the last one in the 38 incher in the kayak..

and some pike. in my kayak.

yes there some danger..wit all speices..sometime the worst ones are the smalles ones wen they go bersurk...on you.

good tick gloves..is one hell off a good tools to have actualy dont have any proble,me to lip a pike or musky up to that size..36 incher...not at all..and this is very helpfull.

and those 36 incher dont guive any ride..just a bit more time to srwil around the kayak and sometime a couple time under..but no ride there....

people catsh sharks tarpons and tons off huge fish in kayaks..not a musky that size that will get a kayak flip..no way.

this is a great tread by the way.

mabe wen you start to get in the high 40's now you start talking about some issue in a kayak and get thos hooks out before you get him to close to you in the kayak for that pict...we have to think that fish is close to you in the kayak and you have no where to go.. :o .

keep those kayak/musky report to come.

here a 36 incher in a kayak/me

not mutch troble there a couple min and there it is.

people underestimate kayak...it is a fishing machine.

joco

3_12_02_08_9_00_03.JPG

Edited by joco