Bass, Pike, Tiny Walleye and woody woodpecker.

limeyangler

Hi All.

This last few days the weather has been terrible here, high winds and driving rain. This has not stopped me fishing, in fact the fishing in front of the house is awesome when there is a strong NW wind blowing into shore, however overnight the wind changed and was coming from behind shore....and as usual the fishing dies, even the jackfish become scarce.

Because of the wind strength and direction change I was trying to think of a good venue for a day out with the missus, because despite winds gusting to 57KMH it was warm and sunny yesterday. The wife loves to come out fishing with me, although she rarely fishes in the summer (she prefers ice fishing), she brings snacks, blankets and books and just enjoys the outdoors.

WIFE CHILLING OUT

img_0839.jpg

I realized that in a southwest wind Jackfish Lake would be fairly sheltered, so put it to the committee and she agreed that that would be a nice spot to go. Jackfish Lake holds perch, SM bass and as the name suggests....jackfish. I did not have a truck to haul my boat last year, and could only dream about getting into the lake with a boat, as I got some nice bass there but would have loved to have tried the west shore where the weed growth was, and check out a few of the humps, but despite the boat being hitched to the truck in the driveway I decided against it due to the high winds. I wish I had taken it cuz when we got there it was flat calm because the lake is in a bit of a dip in the landscape...oh well, will do a Jackfish lake boat report someday.

DARN!!! FLAT CALM>>>SHOULD'VE BROUGHT THE TINNY

img_0912.jpg

Last year I had done well using my slip bobber and worms for the bass, but having had some luck recently with jerk baits for walleye my confidence in artificial lures has increased and i decided to go with crank bait first off.

Well on only the second cast I hooked into a jackfish, only about 25" but a fish. A few casts later I hooked into a smallie, but it shook the lure free. I was shouting for my wife the whole time to bring the camera, but she had wandered off somewhere. She had in fact found a couple of woodpeckers doing what they do best and was busy snapping some cool piccys and video footage.......

VIDEO FOOTAGE OF WOODY DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...rrent=woody.flv

th_woody.jpg

img_0918.jpg

After those first 2 fish it went pretty quiet for the next hour. The lake is spring fed so is very clear, and I saw a few bass follow the crank bait but no takers. I decided to change up to slip bobber and throw some live bait at the fish. I tried night crawlers and live minnows and it wasn't long before the fish were being reeled in. Got jack on minnow and bass on night crawler and minnows.

JACK ON BOBBER AND MINNOW

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...urrent=jack.flv

th_jack.jpg

BASS WITH BOBBER AND NIGHTCRAWLER

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...berwithworm.flv

th_bobberwithworm.jpg

BASS ON MINNOW WITH BOBBER

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...assonbobber.flv

th_bassonbobber.jpg

After a about 2 hours of fun with the bobber it went quiet again, so changed up to a topwater (chug bug), I love fishing topwaters, one of my favorite methods, its just great to see fish breakwater and nail it!! I thought it might be too cold water temperature wise as it’s only been 4 weeks since ice out, but I was glad to be wrong.....

BASS ON RATTLIN' CHUG BUG

th_Picture.jpg

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...w¤t=Picture.flv

All in all I caught about 6 or 7 bass and lost count of the jackfish, I’d say the bobber with live bait produced the most fish overall, but the top water was by far the funniest way to get the bass. Here are a few more fishy pics from the day....

img_0840.jpg

img_0914.jpg

img_0916.jpg

img_0917.jpg

We headed home at about 7pm and my wife turns to me and says, "what we gonna have for supper tonight?" I dunno was my reply, she then says that we should get some walleye from shore when we get home "as this is the best time of day for them" ...lol....taught her well. I was doubtful with the wind conditions that the wallies would be around our shore, and despite having both of us fishing we could only get little ones not big enough for the frying pan..........

LOTS OF THESE GUYS FROM OUR SHORE LAST NIGHT..... BUT TOO SMALL FOR THE PAN

th_tinywalleye.jpg

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...tinywalleye.flv

After half an hour of trying to get some bigger ones, hunger got the better of both of us and we called it a day and had to make do with a cheapo frozen pizza, The Canadian air force did a flyby to signal the end of a great days outing.

AIRFORCE FLYBY

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...rforceflyby.flv

th_airforceflyby.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Awesome report! Complete with pics and video....pretty sweet I'd say. Must be great living in an area where bass are open all year round. I'd head up your way to bass fish, except it would take me all day just to get there...not much time for fishing after that....LOL.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rick we are gonna have to meet up soon for a session. Cliff....if you come up this way i'm sure there could be a sofa/bed spare at our place to extend your fishing time and recover from the days drive...hint...lol.

I was actually about to post another report when i got side tracked noticing some replies so i might as well just put it here.

I am at work at the moment, its a boarding school by a lake...so i have no kids and 6 hours off during the day...what d'ya think i do on my time off???...lol....would be criminal not to cast a line out....i'm here for 4 days and nights and cant afford the 250km round trip from Sioux Lookout to Dryden everyday, and anyway by the time i got back i'd have to turn round and come back.....so i pack my rods and fish.....what a chore.

Anyway, like i've said in previous posts its all the Lac Seul chain of lakes, pretty well known for its excellent walleye fishing....famous for being difficult to catch within slot size for shore lunch.

My first three casts produced Pike, then a wally then a pike. Went quiet for a bit then went nuts for a bit, was raining like hell. I did struggle to get within slot size and about every 3rd fish was a keeper, the rest between 19 and 28 inches.

managed 3 keepers so my students will have some fish when they get back from school....her's a few piccys

1ST, 2ND AND 3RD CAST IN ORDER

pictur17.jpg

pictur14.jpg

pictur15.jpg

MY 3 KEEPERS (wiated till i got out of the rain to take pics,)

pictur16.jpg