Opinions on boat seats?

Black_Blade

Was thinking of getting a couple of these seats for my 12 footer. Buddy at work was saying that he did not like them for they broke at the four anchor points of the base...that I'd be better off getting the ones with the thicker padding, at more rugged type of seat.

boat seat

Does anybody have these seats and are they that bad, or maybe he was just too rough or something with them?

Never had experience with the seats you listed, but the padded boat seats your buddy is talking about are pretty fool proof. The padding sure helps when you are out there at least 5 hours fishing. The more paddign the seat has, the more expensive.

From what info i can read about them, they are both made with a co polymer frame etc, so I would think that the points where the seat anchors into the swivel or base unit must still be basically the same...just as you say...more padding and comfy. I imagine as long as you don't lean your whole body weight back against the rear of the seat...(trying to break them)...they should be fine. Just wondering if anybody out there has had many problems with those type of seats breaking off etc.

Not very comfortable, buddy has them on a tinny that gets dragged around at his cottage. Seats didn't break on him with teenage boys climbing all over them.

Some Princess auto's have tractor seats with some padding for cheap. More comfortable but harder to keep clean.

Backrest seats in tinnies are nice. Have them at the cottage and when I was a boy. The big problem is the bases. I think I have fallen over in all of them. Get a good base and make sure it is attached well. As said before, the padding for the "padding" is nice after a few hours. If you end up with the basic shell, guarunteed you will be using pfd's (which you should not do) to get more comfotable.

if you aren't looking for a back rest but just padding on the seat, will keep ya posted, my next project for my 14 foot tinner is to make padded bench seats across the seats.

I am just going to take some good marine grade plywood, ....cut the size of the benches but also leave evough on an overhang to put some 2X2's there...I am doing this so that I do not have to screw them to the boat, and so they will just pop on over the bench seat, will not slide around, and can be taken off when I want a lighter load for the boat being more portable.

Gonna cut some pieces of foam to fit the seat, cover in vinyl that somewhat matches the colours of my boat.....little tip, cover the foam well with decent plastic so it doesn't get soggy and rot in a short time...cut a couple small holes in the bench part of the plywood..this is so the air can get out when you are putting them together, and for when you are sitting on them in the boat..put the foam on...stretch the vinyl over and staple to the bottom...then take some quick clear caot and cover the staples so they don't rust.

I will be doing this very soon, possibly even the next time I go to my camp, so I will keep you posted with pics