Fly fishing for browns!!

MuddyWater

went to attempt casting some bugs for browns again this time i hit a spot thats alot more open and had little skits and blackflies although those dam red ants were angry. nailed this nice brownie it was just over a pound i also caught lots of baby salmon not sure if their chinny's or cohos. im thinking coho because the stream i was fishing gets a decent run on coho. gona get out for some more tommorow!!!

DSCF0290.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

Nice Brown!

As for the Salmon smolt it is most likely a Coho as mentioned. Chinooks typically smolt and leave the river at a very small size, far too small to take a dry fly anyway. Additionally, although it's difficult to tell from the photo the anal fin on the fish in question appears to have a longer leading edge than does the rest of the fin which is a characteristic of Coho smolts (as opposed to Chinook).

i was using a good old reliable black gnat. nothing was really hatching so i just tossed a big black gnat the wind was blowing pretty good so i figured it would look like a terrestrial or something anywas it worked.