Weekend Pike, Lakers and everything else

bucktail

Well spent the last 4 days on a mini vacation up north.

Thursday Chris and I headed up to Lake Muskoka to try some new areas out for pike.

The weather was horrendous! High Winds, Cold and raining. The actual water temp had gone down 2 degrees from the week before and sat at a balmy 48 F.

Needless to say fishing was slow with more OOS smallies active then pike.

Here is Chris with one from last week.

gallery_221_42_27767.jpg

Managed about 20 fish but it was very slow.

From there we were off to the Haliburton Highlands and to the bosses cottage.

Friday started out cold , windy and cloudy, But the lakers were hitting. Managed a nice 5 pounder 2 minutes into the troll of a planer board in 15 feet of water with a jointed Rapala.

Proceeded to catch 4 that morning and miss a couple.

Good considering we were only out for a few hours and it was the first time on the lake.

gallery_221_42_26420.jpg

next day it was back at it , but sunny cold front conditions slowed the laker fishing down. We decided to go deeper and broke out the leadcore and dipseys. Managed 2 fish that morning with this nice 9 pounder to help out team 10 with a 27 inch entry.

She came 40 feet down in 70 feet off of a main lake point.

gallery_221_42_49292.jpg

On the last day we decided to do some exploring and seee if we could find some of the rare pike that inhabit but arent supposed to in the lake.

Figuring we should concentrate on any spawning areas. Up the small creek we go, low and behold a really big black super tanker of a pike swims from a sunning spot to a deeper hole.

I am guessing 43 inches and 24 pounds as she is very thick.

We cast but don't catch her.

Move a little further and Chris is casting and spots one, throws the big xrap, twitches it and bam FISH ON!!!

Fish turns out to be a muskie! Another fish that the locals say arent in there.

After some ginger fighting we land and release a spawned out 42 inch 20 pound muskie. She had bite marks from spawing all over her tail , so there must be more in there.

No OOS pics sorry guys.

The first fish we saw was a definate pike as I got a really good look at her.

Over all a good weekend!

You never know what your going to catch!

D

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a great report! You seem to know where the big pike live! Muskoka is a great body of water and I have only explored a little chunk of it. Look forward to exploring the rest.