Simcoe carping - May 23

MJL

The last 5yrs I’ve been on a quest to fish as many waters as I could for carp. I’ve fished the St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario + tributaries + bays, Niagara River, Grand River, Kawartha region and several in-land lakes and ponds in the GTA for carp. On Friday I decided to try Lake Simcoe tributary for carp. My only experience fishing Lake Simcoe was at the Atherly narrows in a canoe so I was pumped this trip.

I got to the swim around 8:30am. The swim itself is a muddy hell-hole. Looking at it, I didn’t think much of it till I sunk waist deep into the muck - I imagine heavier people would have gone further down. Each time i had to cast out, put my rod on the bank sticks or fight and land fish, I would have to trek through the muddy hole. The overhanging trees also made casting difficult and another reason to wade out. Glad I brought waders.

I cast my rig into the water and within minutes I’m into a small fish of about 3lbs. I released it without taking a pic.

From 9:30 to 2:30pm the action was totally dead. As soon as 2:30 came around, I was into another fish. The warm temps we experienced throughout the day turbo charged these fish – They went nuts when they were hooked and charged towards any snags they could.

I got mud all over myself charging through the reeds and muck but it’s all good.

DSCF2113.jpg

Another fish landed

DSCF2115.jpg

I think at the end of it all I landed about 13-14 fish and lost 4 fish to snags and hook pulls. I didn’t land any fish over 18lbs but the way they fought made up for the lack of size. My skin now feels smooth and moisturized…Probably the result of playing around in so much mud. A few of the fish I saw cruising in the shallows really did whet my appetite – They had to go at least 35lbs. From what I gather, it doesn’t seem like anyone really fishes for them up there.

Can’t wait to fish up that way again.

Hope you enjoyed

Edited by MJL

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the report. I caught tons of Carp in the Holland river on Canal rd right off Hwy 400. In June they will be in their thick and so will the bowfin(dogfish).

The last 5yrs I’ve been on a quest to fish as many waters as I could for carp. I’ve fished the St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario + tributaries + bays, Niagara River, Grand River, Kawartha region and several in-land lakes and ponds in the GTA for carp. On Friday I decided to try Lake Simcoe tributary for carp. My only experience fishing Lake Simcoe was at the Atherly narrows in a canoe so I was pumped this trip!

DSCF2115.jpg

I think at the end of it all I landed about 13-14 fish and lost 4 fish to snags and hook pulls. I didn’t land any fish over 18lbs but the way they fought made up for the lack of size. My skin now feels smooth and moisturized…Probably the result of playing around in so much mud. A few of the fish I saw cruising in the shallows really did whet my appetite – They had to go at least 35lbs. From what I gather, it doesn’t seem like anyone really fishes for them up there.

Can’t wait to fish up that way again.

Hope you enjoyed

That's sounds like a messy but super day of catching, 13 to 14 landed is pretty good. :clapping:

Thanks for report.

ehg

Not my cup of tea but glad you had fun and got into fish. I'm still in search of the perfect swim where I can park my car within 5 yards of my pod, a washroom within 20 yards, at least above average fishing, good scenery, kids friendly, and a Timmies within 3 minutes walk. Well, I can dream, can't I.

Not my cup of tea but glad you had fun and got into fish. I'm still in search of the perfect swim where I can park my car within 5 yards of my pod, a washroom within 20 yards, at least above average fishing, good scenery, kids friendly, and a Timmies within 3 minutes walk. Well, I can dream, can't I.

Not sure if there is carp in Pt Dalhousie but it does EVERYTHING you requested for "the perfect swim".

Oh yuck!! That's one I try to avoid fishing in the nastiest places for carp and you rolled around in the mud for carp. :blush: You're more hardercore than I thought you were. I would never set myself up for facial anywhere carp roam. Cause not only the mud it bad but I'll bet it reaks of hell!! :oops: I'll do anything to avoid going into waters where carp swim in the shallows.

But I guess someone had to do it. Might as well be you. I like to play it clean.

That first carp is nasty looks like it half dead. Either that or it was just feeding of a body.

DSN

Edited by dsn

Not sure if there is carp in Pt Dalhousie but it does EVERYTHING you requested for "the perfect swim".

I'm sure they are there, but I want to add another condition for my perfect swim -- no more than 2 hours of driving. Alas....I'm so jealous of people living near the big fish water. Gas price is one thing, I don't get enough time for fishing and any minute counts ;-)

Cause not only the mud it bad but I'll bet it reaks of hell!! :oops: I'll do anything to avoid going into waters where carp swim in the shallows.

:o I was so sure I had a whiff of carp odour (fragrance that rivals Chanel to some) in the car today and in the coat closet too. Yuck!!! Time to try out the Febreze thing.

did you just french kissed that fish? I can still see the mud + carp slime on your face.

Victor...That's your dream

I'm guessing I must be the only one who's able to touch a carp and eat a sandwich right after. Carp don't smell that bad...I'm sure the bait I can cook up probably smells a lot worse :thumbsup_anim:

Victor...That's your dream

I'm guessing I must be the only one who's able to touch a carp and eat a sandwich right after. Carp don't smell that bad...I'm sure the bait I can cook up probably smells a lot worse :thumbsup_anim:

psh, that's nothing. :blahblah1:

we shall move it up a level ... shore lunch: carp sashimi :whistling:

psh, that's nothing. :blahblah1:

we shall move it up a level ... shore lunch: carp sashimi :whistling:

You first Vic. I can make sake to go along with it from some of the bait I prepare :thumbsup_anim:

:o I was so sure I had a whiff of carp odour (fragrance that rivals Chanel to some) in the car today and in the coat closet too. Yuck!!! Time to try out the Febreze thing.

It's not the carp smell that I'm thinking of... It's the mud. Usually the mud along the bank smells. And if you dig a little deeper ooooh does it ever get bad. Rottening dead animals and maybe bodies. :blush: Carp do smell like Chanel after a long winter !!! :lol:

Lets hope febreze helps.

dsn