Whitefish on the open water.

limeyangler

Hi All,

Just wondering what rigs, baits and methods people use when targeting whitefish? I have only ever fished for them during the winter on the ice using the usual jigs + spoons tipped with minnows or mini tubes. Just wondering how to fish for them in the spring/summer/fall as there is no closed season for them here and they are awesome fun to catch...and totally yummy grilled in a lemon parsley and cracked black pepper butter. Also wondering whereabouts the move in the warmer waters, i.e are they deep, suspended, surface or everywhere in the water column, is there a general rule to follow for open water seasons? Thanks in advance.

Simon

Wish I could help you, but I don't know much about the species. Lots of experienced anglers here and, if not good natured, well intentioned...lol J/K Someone will chime in for ya. Don't see many reports on open water whities. Should be an excellent and informative read.

....Well I've done my share of open water fishing for whities and they can be had in many ways. Tactics are often based on the water type. In cold, clear deep water I've found ice fishing style tactics to be quite successful. The key is finding concentrations of fish (sonar being invaluable). Another deep water method of course would be the downrigger, trolling small minnow baits or small spinners.

I supose my fave would have to be on smaller northern lakes when the mayfly hatches are on and you can actually take whitefish abundantly with a flyrod on dry flies or emerging nymph patterns. In this case the whities will show themselves with delicate surface takes as they rise to suck in the mayfly. Friends lucky enough to be with me when this happens have had success with small crappie type jigs under pencil floats or tossing small mepps style spinners.

Like Spiel said, ice fishing tactics work great. I use spoons or Bad Boyz tipped with a mini tube. I had a great time last weekend, we got 4 whiteys and 2 lakers in a few hours and lost 6 more. Was a great way to break in the new boat and get her slimed :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Spiel and Outdoorsman, flyfishing for whities sounds fun, bet that will put a bend in a flyrod. i will try all your suggestions, i'm pleased that tactics similar to icefishing adapted to openwater work , at least i'll have some clue what to do...lol...thanks again guys.