Stoney Lake Walleye Fishing

ozaibak1

Hi I'm going fishing on Stoney Lake this Saturday, probably my favorite lake. I'm looking to catch some walleye there, although I never have caught any. Thanks to Stotty who provided me with a depth chart, I'm targeting the west end of the lake where it meets clear lake, and up to burleigh falls.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of depth I should be targeting, I'm going to be using a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jig with 3.75" yellow twistertail grub on it is that a good selection? Will look to target dropoffs and weed edges, again is this the appropriate target?

And whats the proper way to handle a walleye? Thx in advance, trip report will be posted next week hopefully. Oh yeah I've been waiting over 8 months to go fishing and its gonna be awesome. :Gonefishing:

Hey man,

If your going to be around the West end of the lake here are some tips:

Stoney Lake - fish are relating to the rocks more, so crankbaits are you best bet (8-15 feet of water)

Clear Lake - fish are relating to weedbeds more, so jigs are better (6-12 feet of water).

When using crankbaits MAKE SURE you bump the bait off the rocks, andthen pause....

When flipping weedbeds in Clear, flip your jig out about 15 feet from the boat, let it sink to the bottom. SNAP the jig 2-3 feet off bottom, and let if fall back to the bottom. Pause, repeat. The fish seem to be quite aggressive and give the jig a good thump. (at least the past 2 weekend they have been) When in doubt, set the hook.

Hope this helps!

I fished Stoney Lake last June for the first time. Good walleye lake with a excellent population of largemouth bass and smallmouth.

For walleye I jigged weedlines in about 12-15 feet of water with 1/8 ALL black bucktail jigs. It was very warm while we were there and found the bass on shallow rock piles taking top water baits in the early morning and late evening. Also caught some VERY nice size crappie while jigging. That was a surprise because of the way we were fishing. I will have to go back to Stoney Lake as my sons and I really enjoyed it.

Bob