Berkeley Fire Line

Zubris21

I know Canadian Tire doesn't always have the best prices, but Berkley fire line, both Crystal and Smoke colours are on sale for $14.99 until Thursday. I went to the Kingston store today and they had lots of stock, seemed like all pound tests were on sale too.

Now....

I've heard great reviews about this line and one of my fishing buddies stands behind it 100%. This will be the first time trying it. It'll be on a spinning rod (6'6 medium action). I bought 8lb test, the question is should I be using some sort of backing on my reel with this new line? What are the advantages of having a mono filament backing? Its a new concept to me since I've only ever used mono. any help would be appreciated.

I know Canadian Tire doesn't always have the best prices, but Berkley fire line, both Crystal and Smoke colours are on sale for $14.99 until Thursday. I went to the Kingston store today and they had lots of stock, seemed like all pound tests were on sale too.

Now....

I've heard great reviews about this line and one of my fishing buddies stands behind it 100%. This will be the first time trying it. It'll be on a spinning rod (6'6 medium action). I bought 8lb test, the question is should I be using some sort of backing on my reel with this new line? What are the advantages of having a mono filament backing? Its a new concept to me since I've only ever used mono. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info! I use mono only for my spinning reels, but I can appreciate a deal any day.

the sale is good for 6, 8, 10 & 14 LB only. yes it's a good deal for a good product. you do need some mono backing to give the braided line something to hold on to.

maybe CT made a mistake, but they definitely had some higher pound tests on sale.. Im sure I saw both 20 and 30lb for the 14.99 price.

Sometimes different Canadian Tires will have slightly different on-sale items (manager special if u will) besides the ones advertised nationally. The Kingston store near Cat.Center (I guess u'r in that one?) probably have those higher lb lines on sales.

Like last season, the CanTire near Cat.Center has the "Wave" plastic lures on sale for $2.99 a bag for 2-3 months, while the CanTire in Kingston Center was (and still is) selling for $5.99 or something.

Thanks for the post. I bought some Fireline Crystal (8#) and got rain checks for a couple 6#. Thanks again. Does anybody here use this as leader material? Looks like it'd be pretty good in the small #'s as the diameter is pretty small as well as being translucent and strong. I know Ian James suggests using the 6# as fly leader.

I keep hearing Mono backing mono backing mono backing, you dont need to have mono backing before spooling. QUIK TIP: if you are using braided, put a piece of compressible tape ie electrical tape on your spool before you spool. the line will bite into the tape and not free spin.

Just a thought. I do this and I know a bunch of guys that do as well, and none of us have ever had free spooling problems.

Hope this helps someone out.