Fishing in Australia and New Zealand

ScarSnake

what area are you going to be in?

We're flying in to Sydney for a few days, then flying to Alice Springs. From there, we're driving to Uluru, then up to Kakadu National Park, and then over to Cairns.

In New Zealand, we'll fly in to Auckland, then drive down to at least Queenstown, if not further.

I've never fished down there. You might get some useful info from the Trout Bum Diaries II DVD if you can get a hold of a copy. They're in New Zealand fishing for browns, rainbows and some brookies (I think). From what I gather, it's not the easiest trout fishing there is but the quality of fish certainly makes up for the quantity. For fly fishing, most movies I watched recommended casting 13-15ft (minimum) leaders which is no easy task in wind...The fish are super spooky in the gin clear waters.

Good luck...Australia/New Zealand are places I would like to visit at least once in my life.

If I were heading to Cairn's trout would be the last thing on my mind, the marlin fishing out of there is some of the best in the world.

Lake Jindabyne is probably your best bet. It has rainbows, browns, brookies and atlantic salmon. There are also quite a few tribs in the area as well, so you don't have to fish the main lake. It's just south of Canberra, maybe 4-5 hours south west of Sydney. There is also some really good baramundi fishing up in Queensland as well. As far as New Zealand goes I have no idea.