Vancouver Island

scuro

WIll be on VI in July and will have 2 days to kill (July 10-12th) before we stay in Tofino for a week. I'll do a charter but wouldn't mind fishing in the morning before the family is awake and ready. We will have to stay some where along the way and just wanted to throw this out to get some ideas. Also DIY opportunities in Tofino would be appreciated.

it all depends on where on VI you are staying. You can fish for anything salmonid to sm bass out there. Lots of small streams and lakes to be fished. Be VERY prudent about how you fish and watch the regs for exactly where you're going to be fishing. Regs can vary from stream to stream(barbless singles/no live bait). Find the FISHBC website and the people there will maybe help, they can be a fickle lot though. Good luck!

I envy you, I was in Tofino 5 weeks ago and the drive there from the mainland is INCREDIBLE!!! Leave in the morning if you can, and plan on the whole day to get there. Make sure that you stop in the Macmillan Blodel forest to be BLOWN AWAY by the trees. For fishing, there are charters out of the main harbour, however you may want to go to the hotsprings as well.

The one thing to remember is BC does not stand for British Columbia, but rather Bring Cash!

I've seen people fish from shore for salmon, casting little cleos....I've also seen people catch small sharks. I'm not aiming to trample all over dainty creeks and such fer trout...simply I want more fishing then a charter and the big bucks that costs on a daily basis.

You've never been there. What's the rest of the family going to do for the week while you stand there casting?

Trees are trees, water is water, beautiful sceenery is great, but it wears off pretty quick. You'll find the rest of the gang might get bored.

Edited by nofish4me

I've been and wouldn't be going back if the fishing wasn't good...as with all family vacations you can fish early in the morning, evening, and they don't begrudge you fishing in the rain.

Two very reputeable companys are Murphys and The Fishmyster (Ken?) out of Uculett. Your timing is good, but be forewarned....all guides are not created equal. The lowest cost alternative would be the Canadian Princess boats also known by the locals as "puker boats", because of the large amount of people they accomodate. I have done both, but prefer smaller companys.

I just fished Uculett last Thursday with a guide/painter.... and was dissapointed in how poorly prepared he was with gear, bait and knowledge. Live and learn....this one was an expensive lesson for me, with me now going to speak to the company owner, given that this fellow simply did not "have it". This will not be a lecture, nor scolding, just a heads up as one expects more when hiring a private company. It was an unexpected first for me.

Some of the lakes can apparently be good, with some huge cuttys in Sproat Lake (do not bother at that time of the year). Do not bother targetting summer run steelhead in say the Stamp R. (you will pass this outside of Port Alberni) as it is simply better "catching" back home in Ontario (expecting a lot of closures this summer). Think higher elevation and have a boat or inflateable of some sort. Most of the locals focus most of their energy on the ocean. Oh....another place to avoid is this gorgeous looking river you will run into about 40 minutes out of Por Alberni on the way to Tofino, etc. It is apparently extremely unproductive.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61