Eye for Walleye

Aspano

Hi guys - been reading these forums for a while, and a ton of great info around here. I'm new to the sport, and I have a quick question about Walleye - whats the best setup to catch? I'll be on Lake Scugog and Rice in the coming weeks, and probably be sitting in an aluminum rental with no gear other than me and my rod (no fish finder etc. and nothing fancy)

Any tips?

I agree with Stoty that a lot fish will be in 8+ feet of water, however don't be afriad to try shallow(3-6 feet) bays this time of year, especially in the morning and evening. The water is still very cold in the kawarthas and many fish will stay in the shallow bays, specifically on the south ends of lakes where the water tends to be the warmest. One of my fav lures for spring is a #3 or 4 blue fox spinner. I replace the trebble hook with a regular hook and I tie another hook onto the lure with about 4 inches of line. I then hook a powerbait worm onto both hooks similar to how you would rig a regular worm spinner(one hook at each end of the worm). Use a medium to slow speed retrieve. Good luck.

I agree with Stoty that a lot fish will be in 8+ feet of water, however don't be afriad to try shallow(3-6 feet) bays this time of year, especially in the morning and evening. The water is still very cold in the kawarthas and many fish will stay in the shallow bays, specifically on the south ends of lakes where the water tends to be the warmest. One of my fav lures for spring is a #3 or 4 blue fox spinner. I replace the trebble hook with a regular hook and I tie another hook onto the lure with about 4 inches of line. I then hook a powerbait worm onto both hooks similar to how you would rig a regular worm spinner(one hook at each end of the worm). Use a medium to slow speed retrieve. Good luck.

Wow - it looks like english... LOL! I'll try some of that if I can figure it out where they are. Thanks for the tips...

Wow - it looks like english... LOL! I'll try some of that if I can figure it out where they are. Thanks for the tips...

what he is saying is that he replaced the hook of the in-line spinner bait and added a single hook and a soft bait like the following.

worm rig

what he is saying is that he replaced the hook of the in-line spinner bait and added a single hook and a soft bait like the following.

worm rig

Thanks Geoff - Now I understand, helps alot. (picture is worth a thousand words, at least a few dozen anyway) Hope I catch!

Thanks Geoff - Now I understand, helps alot. (picture is worth a thousand words, at least a few dozen anyway) Hope I catch!

no problem, good luck out there too.

oh and there is a section here for people to hook up and go fishing too if you haven't seen it yet... welcome to the board...

hi i just came back from rice lake....i like to fish 8-15 feet of water at this time of year.....i like to use black bucktail jig and and a small worm...i also like to use a worm harness blue and siver with 2 hooks ...i use the worm harness when there is a nice drift ....i like to fish off bewdly side of lake this is where the deepest part of the lake is and great weed bed areas...just drive straight from the boat rental place and you will see the fishermen fishing the weed lines next to deeper water..since you dont have a soanar you can start there, 003.jpg