First fishing trip of the year

jediangler

Five of us decided to go to Mountsberg conservation area for the pike opener on Saturday. If you've never been there to see the birds of prey, it's worth checking out. If you have kids, it's educational and fun. They have a barn turned jungle gym with a floor covered in hay. Here's a link.

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca

The Shipper brought along both his Sportspals, complete with swivel seats, electric motors and fishfinders. The Dalai Lama and Rufus go out in the little one (on the left) and the Shipper takes out Griff in the 12' transom.

shipships.jpg

I took my kayak and caught this pike on a #4 blue fox spinner. First fish of the season.

1stfish08.jpg

I landed two more on that spinner and caught one on a j-13 rapala before I had to leave for a Mother's day BBQ at noon. The j-13's were working for Griff as he caught this pike, one of his three, on a perch version of the lure.

griffship.jpg

griff.jpg

The Shipper was using the orange j-13 and caught this pike, one of two, while trolling.

shipspike.jpg

He caught big fish of the day as well at 28" but Griff's camera had dead batteries so it's just a fish story.

The Dalai Lama caught one pike but there is no confirmed reports that he even so much as touched it during landing, unhooking or releasing. Rufus had to console himself with an OOS largemouth as the pike ignored him all morning.

Good trip and great way to start the season.

Mountsberg is a no gas motors lake with a pike limit of two fish per angler. The park staff was there all day making sure no one forgot to pay and making sure no rules were being broken.

Edited by jediangler

Thanks Victor. My camera mount still works, Snag, but the biggest pike I caught was only 22" so I was hoping for a fish closer to 30" before I used it for a picture.

If I recall, and I'm not stalking you. Yet,

Didn't you pull a nice 36" out of that lake last year?

I only ask because I went by there and was surprised that a fish that size would exist there.