first bait caster combo

ntgrk

Looking for my first baitcaster any thoughts on the shimano citica with the bass pro xps extreme combo for 139.00 (front page of flyer) the rod is 6 foot is this rod too short I am six foot two I have been told to go for something bigger any Thoughts?

That's sounds like a decent starting outfit. If you can get a 6'6" rod great if not don't worry about it.

Only a few years ago a six foot bait-caster was the standard length and 5'6" was common...

My 25 year old Skeeter's rod locker wouldn't hold a rod over 6 feet long!

This fetish with rod length is just a fashion thing, as boats have become bigger, rods have become longer.

What's the real difference?

The rule of thumb is that shorter rods are more accurate, longer rods will cast a little farther...

But remember that is not just farther from you, but also a little farther away from the target too!

Before we assume that bigger is better, let's be clear on want we're talking about here.

A 6'6" or 7' rod may throw a bait an extra 4 to 6 feet...that's only the difference of a couple of steps and we're talking about this 6 feet on the end of a cast of 60 or 70 feet.

If you are just learning, any difference in the length of your casts is a moot point. You'll just be pleased if there's no backlash...HAHAHA.

On the water, you will probably be casting to a target like that open spot in the lily-pads, the edge of the weed line or the trunk of a fallen tree most of the time. I suspect that most of my casts are to a target that's in the forty foot range. If that's true, I would think that accuracy is far more important that an extra few feet of potential maximum distance...

I suspect that most people would like accuracy on every cast, but only need extra distance on a few...

Therefore, it could be argued that the inherent loss of accuracy built into the longer rod is a bigger penalty, than the few feet in maximum distance the shorter rod gives up.

Garry2R's