That Was Awesome! (nf)

bigfish1965

For the first time in 22 years I went skating tonight! I had bought new skates over a year ago and never put them on. I haven't skated since I played hockey in college. The first few steps were tentative at best. Once I remembered I was skating and not walking it all came back to me.

There was a ton of kids at the arena tonight (Tuesday nights is free family skate night) and it made me pay close attention to what I was doing. Very odd being on the ice with a few hundred people at once. It was a total blast and I can't wait till next Tuesday night!

Amazing how fast you can make yourself look like a dumbass, eh?... wonder if the Welland river freezes enough to skate on......?

was that at the pelham arena Rick? .... living in Fenwick lowers my option for "fun time", besides cow tipping there ain't much to do out here- and i ain't 12yo anymore...

Good for you Rick.

It's fun and you get yourself moving.

I never skated much as a child, but now I take my own kids and get to skate a bit myself.

Still not very good, but I get by. Each trip to the arena, I feel more and more comfortable.

Funny you mention that Rick. I took my son out to Valley Park here in Hamilton for skate over the holidays. We both got a new pair for Christmas. That was my first time skating in a long long time. Was fun though, other than the blister my son got from his new pair. Funny thing is, he got it in the same spot where I use to get mine all the time when I was a kid. btw, glad you had a good time.

Edited by Hooked

Great to hear you had a good time on the blades. I bought myself a new pair a couple of winters ago to go skating on the Rideau canal. We first went to the Gatineau Hills, Wakefield, for the first part of the trip and did some snowshoeing in Gatineau Park. The night before we were to head down to skate on the canal they announce that the canal was closing for skating at midnight. :o:o:( I never got to try out the new skates that winter.

This past summer we went to Lake Placid. They have public skating there all summer long on the Olympic practice pad. The ice wasn't great but we still had a good time. I certainly was a bit uneasy with it at first but much like yourself, after a few laps I was back in the swing of things.

Now I've got to find out the public skating times in my area. Thanks for the reminder to get out and use the skates! ;)