keeping the boat locked up

forrest

Hitch lever locked... with a spare hitch ball in the socket.

Get a length of 1" steel shaft and weld a plate on one end bigger than a wheel spoke hole and drill for a lock on the other end. Insert thru from one side to the other through a wheel spoke on each side....so when a wheel turns the bar gets jammed against the springs. Slip a plate on the other side and then a high quality pad lock. Keep it tight in length so it sits inside the wheel pan so it doesn't stand out as visible from the street. If they defeat your hitch lock and get hooked up to it it will make a hell of a racket draggin locked wheels down the street.. .they'll bail on it and you'll find your boat about 4 doors down in the middle of the street.

Yes... I lived in TO at one time ! LOL

Irishfield, if you ever make any extras, let me know and I'll buy them! Great idea! If only I knew how to cut, weld, and drill steel. I'm not very handy.

I have no plans to make any fishinggeek.. they have to come up a 1200 foot laneway.. break into a hangar.. figure out how the 50 foot door opens.. and move three airplanes to get to my boat. When airplanes are gone back to customers..my boat is gone to the lake and trailer is in a locked trailer yard and insured for it's $3900 replacement. For other spots it's locked to my hitch... that can of course be easily defeated and a 5/8" thick cable lock is thru one pair of wheels and around the frame.

The thieves that eyeball them in laneways come prepared. Hydraulic cutters for the cable locks, etc and why I suggested the out of sight thru shaft. They'll get the hitch ball open and hook on and go.. but not far.

Pretty sure it was Terry that had the steel rod trick thru his wheels and his had been dragged a few feet in "god's country" before the thiefs fled.

My partner here at work has a cottage in the Kawartha's and has been broken into 3 times in the last 5 years! OPP state quite openly that it's "just maw and paw Kettle out doing there grocery shopping" get a security system... which they did. Now, when they get broken into, they find out right away, versus finding out when they arrive at their cottage for the weekend.

The thieves stole all of their food, including what was in the freezer as well as some electronics... actually, anthing they could carry.

A thief is the lowest form in my opinion.

Garry... I have been talking to my wife for years about the exact same thing... but she's a city girl and I have my hands full with that one!

HH

Use several layers of protection, they can all be defeated, but will slow down a determined thief or make them move on to an easier target.

You might like The Clamp

theclamp.jpg

Or the 'Master Lock' coupler lock

masterlock.jpg

HTH

The Clamp looks cool, but with a price tag of $200 + taxes, shipping, and more if you want the wheel hub guard, that's a lot of money. Personally, since I'm getting a new boat, I'm going to go with simple cable locks.