Algonquin Fishing ?

4x4bassin

I'm heading up to Algonquin in a couple of days to do a little fishing and I have a couple questions.

Has anyone fished Merchant or Big Trout and which lake is better ? I'm leaning toward Big Trout but i'm not sure.

Is Big Trout worth the extra portage ?

This is my first interior trip so any help on fishing and camping spots in these lakes would be a great help.

Thanks

Dave

Oh ya , any tips on lures and colours will help as well !!

Downrigging or flat lining? How many days will you be there?

Make sure you hit Happy Isle.

Spoons, gold silver,red,

Cleos, Williams Dartee, Crank baits in Perch.

If you can get to Happy Isle, Merchant is a no brainer.

The only issue/drawback is from Merchant to Big Trout is a long winding channel that depending on water and Beaver dams may require some lining. Other than that BT is a great lake can be rough in hi winds.

I will let douG fill you in when he returns....you should also do a search on those lake names here and I would also try the forums here..

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/

I like Merchant for lake trout, especially the west shoreline. Fluorescent orange/gold spoons for whatever reason have worked well there.

#9 deep diving Shad Raps are a good bet if they're a bit deeper.

Chickaree Lake to the south of Merchant is an easy day trip with decent fishing.

Personally while I have fished these lakes it's usually while enroute to La Muir which is much better IMO, although much tougher to get to as well :) .

Hey Solo, what is your favourite route into La Muir from Merchant?

I'll second Chickaree...

That would be the death march straight north of Merchant via Hemlock and Yard lakes (more bogs really).

Quicker IMO than the route via Big Trout...if you're quick on the portage and can do it in a single carry.

I've never done it, but the quickest way in is with squareback canoe and small motor via Proulx and Big Crow, then the throw everything on a dolly and wheel it into Hogan. Hogan to La Muir is relatively easy...

I'm actually thinking of doing that next year (blasphemy! :D ). I've got a squareback canoe, 2hp motor and a dolly. Not exactly the usual Algonquin experience....but I imagine the fishing would be pretty good.

When I stayed on Happy Isle, we paddled into Merchant, then Chickaree. People were doing okay on Merchant, trolling along the shoreline leading to Chickaree, and I met a guy who was raving about Chickaree in the spring....said he had done really well in there. What I remember most was the HORDES of baitfish swimming around....never seen anything like it. The shoreling opposite the portage landing drops straight down...it's so small that it's easy to cover as a side trip for a few hours.

Good luck!

Edited by johnnyb

We have done both routes (BT and H/DY/BD routes) each has their pros and cons. Either way fun trips to my favourite Lake.

Hey Solo if you plan to do and need a partner let me know. I would love to make that trip...