Are you curious how much your your rod weights?

Guest Fishing For Life

I am just wondering if there are any rods with its center of gravity at the end of the rod

not in the middle of the rod ... if so, it would be alot easier to balance it out with reels ..

Anything there?

I have plenty of rods that balance on my finger right in front of the reel seat. ...if it was behind *or* on the reel, it'll actually feel top heavy. Take some of your things to a shop and try them out.

Edited by j ace

For me, it's not so much the weight that I'll be carrying throughout the day that I'm worried about, it's the motions involved compounded by the weight and carried over a long period of time (years) that I'm most worried about. I'm young and fish hard now, I want to be fishing hard when I'm old. I know a few anglers who had to give up the sport they loved because of injuries to their wrist, elbows and rotator cuffs - prominent in fly fishing, some in float fishing.

An activity doesn't have to be strenuous to cause injury. You can be sitting down at your computer browsing the internet using a mouse and develop Tendonitis and/or tennis elbow - I did case studies on this in school and its surprising how much a problem ergonomics (or a lack thereof) actually is in the workplace. Auto assembly workers who do nothing but screw bolts onto a car without having to lift anything can develop injuries. Casting a rod for 14hrs a day over years can cause injuries. Pain is a sign something is not right. I love fishing and do my best to do it in ways to prevent injuries.

When I'm 80+ yrs old, I want to be able to do this - Definitely worth watching when it hits 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3Z9okcH3A...feature=related

You don't have to feel pain when you're old.

that's my point exactly

which is why i brought up runners and secretaries. Painters get tennis elbow injuries as often as tennis players, it doen't have to be physically exhausting activities..

And to a previous post...I doubt bob izumi fish 14 hour days any more than Henry and Italo do. I stopped watching his show probably a decade ago because it was nothing but product schlepping from boats to trucks and other fishing tackle.

I agree with lew,try salmon fishing for a few days straight !!!! awinging 12lb cannon balls & reeling in 400 ft of copper & wire line with dipseys & j-plugs ,as well as fighting 20lb + salmon all day...man the first few times i do it every year,it takes the arm & wrist muscles a few days to recover from that,....but maybe the man has a medical problem,like an injury or carple tunnel or something like that ??? either way i hope you get all healed up theres lots of fishing season left,get those muscles in shape bud !!!! cheers :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I lift anywhere from 1/16th to 3/8 plate steel at work every day. No problems. But I have had sore wrists/forearms from such things as typing and fishing. MJL is on the right path here.

I just notieced that most rod information are available (material, lenth, line weight .. etc)

but not the weight ..

The info is not printed on factory rods because 99% of them don't make their own blanks but if you go with a custom rod and choose your own blank, the blank weight is there for you to see. StCroix, lamiglas, Pacific Bay, American Tackle and most others list the full blank specs and measurements including weight

Tendinitus can develop from simply having a set of muscled in constant tension. I fish muskies all day but my forearm tendinitus develops worse when I am dropshotting in the winter for perch. The tension without range of movement to releive it does it.

Try a forearm strap made for tennis elbow if the problem is in your arm, this will help support the muscle and help take tension off it, helping it oput. Any drugstore has them. I have a bad rotator cuff that acts up, just bring tyelenol!