Panfish

Crappie feed-up, so set a bobber at about two feet.

Try to find black bottom bays, about 5 feet deep, with the wind blowing in.

Crappie are aggessive feeders, so keep moving the bait...

If you're not getting "bit" they aren't there.

If your thinking about being in the East Kawarthas, Hwy #28 area, PM me and we can hook-up.

Garry2rs

Have boat, will travel.

Sorry I didn't mention bait...Yes, worms work but small plastics are more durable. Those inch or inch and a half tubes or curly tails etc.

Personally I like chartreuse, or light green, but whatever you use for Bass will work for Crappie too.

I watched my neighbour catch them one after another using a piece of a Yum-dinger, about two inches long, hooked wacky.

In the states I bought some Crappie jigs and a sort of fork-tail grub about two inches long that works great. The same company makes a smaller size for trout that I'm sure would also work. Down there Wal-Mart carried the trout size...I don't know about up here.

If your fishing from shore rig up a slip foat with a small jig (little white maribou's worked great last week but micro tubes, little bits of gulp grubs, etc work). The reason I point out the slip float is because you can cast it a mile vs trying to cast with just a light jig/hook on your line. A non slip float would work but its' much more of a pain to cast (due to the long lead line after the float twirling all over).

Slip floats! I never shore fish without 'em.

But besides that, artificials below the float are terrific like your tiny tubes on light jigs WHEN THE FISH ARE ACTIVE. Otherwise, it's always a good idea to be armed with live minnows, worms or leeches to really put the odds in your favour!

Glad you had success Mike. And I guess we learned something too. Gulp leeches for perch!

Pan fishing is too much fun. A few floats, some hooks and a bit of bait and you're in business. Plus, when you're talking perch, crappie, bluegills.. the population can usually stand harvest and they're pretty tastey in the pan.

Thanks for your follow up report.