Quinte Setup Questions

tbayboy

Hey everyone, its time to put some fresh line on my reels and start this season off. I'm going to be heading to Quinte for the opener weekend and I'm not sure what I want put to on the reels. I'm going to bring the following:

Spinning reel for walleye casting - minnow baits, shad raps and the like. Currenly have 20lb power pro on this and nothing on the backup spool

Baitcaster for pike casting - bucktails, bigger cranks, etc. 50lb Powerpro on it currently

Spinning reel for jigging. new reel so no line on either spool.

Line counter reel for trolling - harnesses/spinners/stick baits. No line on it yet

I think the casting rods are ok with whats on them (adding appropriate leaders of course) but the other 2 I'm not so sure of. Normally for walleye I'd be putting 10lb powerpro or fireline on the jigging reel (with flouro leader) and 8-10lb mono on the trolling line but I keep seeing these images of stupid big fish in Quinte and I'm not sure if I should be picking some heavier stuff for this trip. What do you guys and gals think - stick with the stuff thats worked for me before and risk break offs or go with big?

I run 20 lbs Power Pro on my spinning gear, and 50 lbs on my casting gear. I have no problems with catching fish or having break offs. I fish primaraly bass, pike and walleye. I also do not worry about putting a leader on if targeting bass alone. For the next month and a half starting Saturday, Ti leaders on everything for the big toothy critters. :Gonefishing:

I just spooled 900 yards of 10lb Trilene XL on my Sealine 27 Linecounter Reel.

I'll primarily use it for trolling. (worm spinner, crankbait)

I recently purchsed the Percision Trolling Guide, and it has all the data in 10lb mono.

I find Trilene XL, simple, easy, and economical.

Where about are you fishing? I might bring my boat down to BOQ this weekend, Deseronto area.

Got the same reel young one and was thinking the same line. No idea where we'll be fishing as its my first time so I'm counting on Lexx to put me onto all kinds of record breaking (and prize winning) fish. No pressure on him or anything :)

tBayBoy.

Lexx asked...'How big is Quinte"

Depends on what you refer Quinte as.

BayOfQuinte....Trenton to east of Belleville

the Narrows...east as far as Napanee

Then youve got Big and Hay Bays

Out of Picton area it is the Adolphus Reach..NOT the BOQ.

More info on where to find fish contact either Sam at Carras or Ron at Skevy's...you cant get better info.

As for fishing line, I use these setups:

Riggers....... #12 Fireline Crystal (w/#8 Flouro)

Planers....... #14 Trilene XL (w/#8 Flouro)

Spinning .... #10 Trilene XL (Tied Direct)

Everybody is different.....my info came from the local outfitters on the BOQ proper

....not on or from the Adolphus Reach (Picton area)