Angler's body recovered

Gerritt

Angler's body recovered

Posted 3 hours ago

The body of a 38-year-old Brampton man was recovered from the waters of Mudge Bay on Manitoulin Island on Sunday morning, police said.

The man, identified as Sergio Girimonte, had travelled to a Manitoulin Island resort with his brother and cousin to go fishing. The trio went to the Kagawong River, about 40 kilometres west of Little Current, early Saturday morning to fish.

Girimonte was wading in the water when he was swept away by the powerful current at about 7:45 a.m. at the mouth of the river, police said.

A search began immediately with the help of Manitoulin OPP, Canadian Coast Guard and the North Shore Search and Rescue Team.

The OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit was called to assist and began searching at daybreak on Sunday.

The fisherman's body was found at about 11:20 a.m., police said.

A local coroner was called to the scene and ordered a post-mortem examination, which will take place today in Sudbury, to determine the cause of death.

My friends and I rescued 2 fisherman on Dalrymple yesterday. Two guys in a portaboat in 1.5-2' chop in the middle of the lake! They swamped it and were swimming.

When I, later, politely tried to suggest that this lake with the current wind was too big for their boat, I got the response... "No, boat is good..."

He was pi$$ed that we had failed to recover one set of rubber boots. You just can't teach common sense.

very sad indeed,

i've been wadin in that river many times smelt fishing, by this time of year there isn't all that much current at the mouth of that river, i imagine his waders must of filled with water and he couldn't get them off, like said even in "easier" waters u always have to be extremely careful,