Smoker (NF)

turtle

I've tried the wood chips in tin foil on the BBQ method and didnt work out so well. I would like to get a dedicated smoker to smoke fish and meat. I am looking at a couple propane models at Home Depot, a Broil-Mate for $199 and a Vermont Castings for $149. I have also seen charcoal briquet models for less $, except for the Weber.

Any experience and recommendations? Thanks.

If you want to do some real "low and slow" bbq then IMO the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is the way to go.

Put together with quality materials and fit and finish (this is what make the difference in temp control!) the Smokey Mountain is the unit to get of the bullet smokers. Many competition bbq have been won using it.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Ribs and pork butts are my favorite....

RibsmokeMay2720073.jpg

RibsmokeMay2720075.jpg

BRITURIBS1.jpg

Burt :)

If you want to do some real "low and slow" bbq then IMO the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is the way to go.

Put together with quality materials and fit and finish (this is what make the difference in temp control!) the Smokey Mountain is the unit to get of the bullet smokers. Many competition bbq have been won using it.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Ribs and pork butts are my favorite....

RibsmokeMay2720073.jpg

RibsmokeMay2720075.jpg

BRITURIBS1.jpg

OMG IM HUNGRY

I have been smoking food and fish for a long time and charcoal briquette models is what I would recommend. It's not hard to control once you do it a couple of times and I believe it does a better job.

Smoking is not really hard and gets easier as time goes on. Keep it simple and try to keep your neighbors away from the finished product. :)

Bob

If you want to spend more money and get more versatility you may want to look at the Big Green Egg. It does everything all in one unit. It BBQ's, it smokes, it slow cooks etc. I have had one for 4 years and would never get anything else. One drawback ...... it is not portable. It definitely makes cooking easier and more fun.

I have been smoking food and fish for a long time and charcoal briquette models is what I would recommend. It's not hard to control once you do it a couple of times and I believe it does a better job.

This is what I believe as well, and smoking with charcoal gets to be more of an "art" form, if you can call it that.

I never had the urge to just turn a unit on, set the temperature, throw in some chips or pucks, and walk away. For me it is a whole ritual of meat preparation, starting up the smoker, temperature monitoring, beer drinking... and of course the final product :thumbsup_anim:

Temperature control with the charcoal fired bullet smokers is controlled by the amount of air you let into the unit. More air, higher temperature.... less air, lower temperature.... The Weber is the most air tight of the bullet smokers, and this allows you to accurately control the cooking temp. via the bottom vents. If you do opt for a bullet smoker, do not be tempted to buy a cheaper model, get the Weber!

I have heard good things about the BGE as well, although I have never used one. They are also supposed to be VERY temperature stable, probably due to the thick and heavy clay (?) construction.

Also be sure to pick up a digital meat thermometer, and a remote temperature sensor that you can set low and high alarms on... That way when you are doing a 24-30 hour smoke, you can go to bed and be sure that you are still tending the fire....

Cannot beat the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I know of many people of the competition circuit that use nothing but this smoker and have won several events.

Check out Lowe's in Newmarket, they have this weber in stock. You can also check out Ontario Gass BBQ in Concord Ont. Everything you could ever want for smoking Q'ing and grillin' Very knowledgeable staff that will steer you in the proper direction.

Check out this local site: http://www.bbqtalk.ca/ and this one http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/

Good luck

John