Use Backing Line before Spooling Lead Core????

How many colours of leadcore did you get?

you need backing to utilize all colours/depth, backing is also required if you want to use planer boards, you don't want to put leadcore in the release clip.

150 yards of 50# braid is ideal for backing, use a few wraps of mono or some electrical tape before braid, then your leadcore and the floro leader.

the above setup with 5 colours or less will fit the 320 GTi but for 10 colours you will need 330 GTi

Edited by stonefish

I use 30# mono for backing on my lead core rods. You want to run all the core in the waternot in the rod tip, or the lead will break in the sheath and then cut the sheath itself, or at least weaken it for an unexplained break off. Or put it all out and clip your in-line board to the mono not the core.

I have 2 setups ready for spring a 2 colour and a 3 colour, then in the summer I add more colours as the water warms and fish go deeper.

It gets kinda pricey but it sure catches fish.

Good luck

Al

SpoonMaster lures

I run 30lb mono as my backing, super gluing the mono to the core. Usual around 100yds as I like to use this set up for salmon.

I'm some what confused by the remarks about clipping a board onto the lead core... been doing it for years and have not had any break offs etc...

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

HH

HH: the concern is that the clip can compromise the lead and that this in turn may then begin to compromise the shealth.

That is one of the reasons that I run the braid segments.

Several folks run the leadcore directly with the boards and have not experienced difficulties.

To each his own....

Thanks Silver! Have you at all experienced a break off as a result of clipping directly to the Core? I'll do a check of my line next time out and take a real close look at this. I always thought that the clips on the board are well padded to prevent such things, but if others have experienced this issue, than I appreciate the heads up.

Comments folks?

HH

HH: I've never clipped to the core - so I'm not much help on that one.

I approach it like this.

1. I expose myself to as much theory as I can find.

2. I then solicit practical feedback from the 'real' world.

3. I formulate my point of view.

4. I adjust my behaviour accordingly.

Damn - I'm such a geek.....oh wait, fish on!!!

Thanks guys... I'm using the Offshore boards with the locking clip, OR18 I believe and had assumed that all was right with the world! Gonna take a closer look next time... Spoonmaster, I'm wondering if your right when you suggested that the clips for the large boards might be the culprit. I know when I hook my in-lines to the line, I make every effort possible to maintain a straight line from the clips to the bait, if that makes any sense... I actually put the line in the back clip on something of an 45 degree angle to keep the line as straight out the board as possible. Maybe that has helped me not have break off issues? :dunno:

HH

Yup - mono, braid, leadcore, flouro.

If you pick up a larger reel, you may consider segmenting the colours with braid which provides a bit more flexibility when using the boards.

:-)

Silver....I take it that you use a few wounds of mono on the reel first before the braid backing so that the line doesn't slip on the reel...correct???....what type of knots do you guys recommend for joining each section...mono--> backing braid-->lead core-->fluoro leader?????

Thanks,

Steve

I believe HH just peels back some lead core covering... breaks off the lead... coats his mono with super glue..shoves it in the now missing lead cores position and rolls the cover back over top. Same on the hook end mono. No knots...just glue to attach to the lead core.

Edited by irishfield

Willis knot is the best and easiest to use. Add the crazy glue will make it even more solid. Here's a link to show you how. Rod I have to believe(now after this weekend) putting leadcore in the pad might have less risk of breaking then the extra knots with the segmented. http://spoonpullers.proboards42.com/index....amp;thread=1401

Rod I have to believe(now after this weekend) putting leadcore in the pad might have less risk of breaking then the extra knots with the segmented

The Church boards seem to present less of a risk, but let's put them in some bigger rollers.....

This crazy cat is still going to go with the segments.

Willis knot is the best and easiest to use. Add the crazy glue will make it even more solid. Here's a link to show you how. Rod I have to believe(now after this weekend) putting leadcore in the pad might have less risk of breaking then the extra knots with the segmented. http://spoonpullers.proboards42.com/index....amp;thread=1401

Thanks Iceguy....just tried the Willis and it works like a charm!! :thumbsup_anim: