Michigan Shopping Report

SlowPoke

What a weekend!

My wife and daughters took me to Michigan for some tackle shopping to celebrate my b-day. We mapped it out and added a few recommended stops crossing at Port Huron and returning through Windsor.

After the girls ohhhing and ahhhing going over the Blue Water Bridge, it was a short drive to Anderson's Pro Bait in Port Huron. It's a nice 'local' shop with a good selection and reasonable prices. The staff was very friendly and I picked up a few items...

Anderson's Pro Bait

2 - Spin Doctors - Mountain Dew/Pearl Glow, Green/Pearl Glow @9.49 ea.

2 - G-Fly - Green Glow, Green Cheese @4.49 ea.

2 - Challenger Lynx - Black/Silver, Halographic @11.95 ea.

From there it was only a few minutes up the road to our first Gander Mtn. stop. I was quite impressed with GM and they have an impressive selection. The best deals are in the bins but good prices overall. I picked up a few items at this location while my wife and daughters went to TJ Maxx. We then left for the GM Novi store. Novi was even more impressive! My wife and oldest daughter went shoe shopping at DSN while my youngest and I went to GM. They also had a much larger marine section and more bins to route through in the fishing section. My findings at both stores are below...

Gander Mountain

2 - Northern King NK28 - Watermelon @$2.97 ea.

3 - Silver Streak Magnums - Rainbow Hickleberry, Wolverine White George, Wolverine Glo Grindstone @2.97 ea.

2 - Michingan Stinger Magnums - Metallic Frog, Yellow Jacket @2.97 ea.

2 - G-Fly - Monkey Puke, White @3.99 ea.

2 - Blue Fox - No.3 Black/Yellow, No.4 Black/Yellow @1.97 ea.

From Novi we were off to Bass Pro at Auburn Hills located at great Lakes Crossing Mall. This mall is enormous with hotels nearby. It would make a great destination for family shopping. Much like Vaughn Mills. I've heard many comparisons to Bass Pro in Vaughn as well but I have to say the service and prices at Auburn Hills put Vaughn to shame! The girls visited the mall and met me in Bass Proafterwards with a few goodies in my tote...

Bass Pro

2 - Bionic Bucktail 1oz Spinnerbaits - Cisco, Blackbird @11.99 ea.

2 - Zarra Spook - Frog, Perch @4.99 ea.

4 - Booyah 3/8 oz Buzzbaits - Wounded Chart, Wounded Blue Glimmer, Chart, Black @3.99 ea.

1 - Bass Pro Line Counter @10.99

The girls were worn out and hungry! We made our way to the County Inn and Suites in Dundee located beside Cabela's. We unloaded the car and walked down the street to the Lone Star Steakhouse. It's been a while since I heard "smoking or non-smoking?". We had a terrific meal and outstanding service. I'd recommend Lone Star to anyone making the Cabela's trip. After walking back to the hotel, the girls put on thier bathing suits and I sat in nice wingback chair in the hotel room digesting my wonderful steak dinner and catching the Wings/Pred's game on TV. Nashville tied up the game with :43 to go and it went into overtime. I took a few minutes to go down to the pool to see the girls.

When I returned to watch the overtime it didn't take long for the Wings to win. Then it was time to eyeball my newly acquired goodies.

After a good nights rest we awoke around 9 and had some breakfast. The room comes with a continental b-fast but this was unique. You could microwave omelettes, burrito's and make your own waffles! We were going to go the Bob Evens for b-fast across the street thinking there was going to be nothing but dry muffins and croissants at the hotel but there was no need. At around 9:30 I made my way over to Cabela's while the girls enjoyed the pool. They would join me around 11 and we very much enjoyed the mountain and aquarium. I was glad to have made it to Cabela's but I must say I was a little underwhelmed. Service was good and it's a nice place but there were several items I had in mind from the catalogue that couldn't be found in the store. My treasures include...

Cabela's

1 - St. Croix 7' MF Spiing Rod @70.00

1 - Hotmaps Premium 2007 @99.99

2 - Storm 10" Kickin' Minnow - Walleye, Shad @5.49

1 - Storm Giant Jointed Thunder Stick - White/Halographic @11.99

2 - Storm Giant Suspending Thunderstick - Natural Perch, Chart Perch @11.99 ea.

1 - Fishin' Stix Rod Holder @4.99

3 - Cabela's Bucktail Inline Spinners - Bl/Or, Chart/Or, Black @6.19 ea.

From Dundee it was a 45 minute ride to Sportsman's Warehouse in Allen Park. You may not have heard of it before because they just arrived in Michigan in November and have plans for second Mi. location. Bob Devine tipped me off about Sportsman's and this place is a MUST on the Michigan tackle tour. Think of it as a Gander Mountain on steroids. Incredible selection! Prices were great and staff was very knowledgable. Sportsman's does not have the ambiance of Bass Pro or Cabela's but the selection is as good or better.

Sportsman's Warehouse

2 - Bionic Bucktail 1oz Inline Spinners - Blackbird, Red/White

2 - Mojo Drop Shot 1/4oz Packs @3.99 ea.

1 - Plano 1084 Line Spool Box @5.99

1 - Plano 3504 Spinnerbait Box @5.99

1 - Plano 3771 Stowaway Divider Box @6.59

Thanks again to those offering information for my trip!

-Brian

Sheesh Brian this report must have taken longer to write that your actual 2 days of shopping so what was the grand total?

Really did you have to bribe the family with promises of shopping in other stores I don't think they went to Michigan just to satisfy

dear old Dad eh.You smooth talker Brian, you would be a great salesman :whistling:

Now will you give us some pics Laddy :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Sheesh Brian this report must have taken longer to write that your actual 2 days of shopping so what was the grand total?

Really did you have to bribe the family with promises of shopping in other stores I don't think they went to Michigan just to satisfy

dear old Dad eh.You smooth talker Brian, you would be a great salesman :whistling:

Now will you give us some pics Laddy :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Hi Mike,

The fishing goodies were around $500 and I forgot to add a couple things from Gander Mtn.

1 - Special Mate spoon box 39.95

1 - Special Mate muskie box 39.95

These were lucky finds because it's hard to find the spoon box with flat dividers now. Most shops just carry the crankbait dividers and guys use them for spoons. Some of the bigger spoons don't fit well in them and I think the spoon dividers hold more (225). The muskie box was a good find because it's identical to my other one in colour... like matching luggage!

No bribes for the family, they had a great time and were on edge all week because we didn't tell them where we were going. I love playing that game! Last year when they were going to Grandma's for a week we told them they were going March Break School. This time I told them we were going to a compete in a Wii bowl-a-thon. My youngest asked one of her friends at school if she "entered the bowling tournament". Then we told them we were going to "Bologna Depot" where they sold different kinds of bologna from all over the world. We set them up for disappointment and then they think fishing stores are fun in comparison.

I'd hate to see the total cost of that trip!

Hey Clive,

The grand total with gas, the girls purchases and taxes at the border was probably around $1200. I could have saved a few bucks by staying another night to avoid the taxes at the border. Money well spent for a weekend getaway but as my wife reminded me, a few years ago we flew to Vancouver for a three-day weekend, rented a Cadilac and ATV's for the same money. My reply of coarse was "yes but I didn't come home with a bunch of cool sh!t"

-Brian

Happy Birthday Brian! Nice shopping trip!! Love that you keep the kids "out of loop" on where you are going, I might need to borrow that LOL Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions on all those different shops. I have wanted to stop at Anderson's but never manage it, glad to hear that it was worth it and I will have to make it a priority next time!

Enjoy all your new toys!!